Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "So are you and XX still together?"

"So are you and XX still together?"

Let's say you run into someone you haven't seen in awhile - is it appropriate to ask if they're still with their partner?

What prompted this was last weekend I saw my ex-SIL who I hadn't seen since my mother's funeral 10 years ago. She didn't even know who I was - but once she figured it out she asked if dh and I were still together. I thought that was a weird question. If I was curious I might say "How's dh?"

She's always been a little blunt but I wondered if it was only me that thought it was an inappropriate question or not.

I don't know as it is inappropriate but certainly blunt and straight to the point!

Inappropriate.

I would have just asked how your dh was.

Let's say you run into someone you haven't seen in awhile - is it appropriate to ask if they're still with their partner?
    In that flat-out a manner? No. I agree with cg that the best way to word it would be to ask how your husband/partner/whatever was doing and leave it open ended ( and possibly without a name attached. ) There are ways one possibly may work it into the conversation, though. "Whatever happened to _____?"

"How is ______ doing these days?"

It's weird.

I think it's a weird question, I would probably ask something general like "How are things with your family" but asking it that way sounds like she assumed you would be divorced.

That is kind of rude. I always say something like, "So what's been going on with you?" If they got divorced AND WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT, they can answer with that.

The only time I have ever had anyone ask me if DH and I were still together, it was a girl from college who had a thing for him. I think she was checking to see if he was "open for business."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    That is kind of rude. I always say something like, "So what's been going on with you?" If they got divorced AND WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT, they can answer with that.

The only time I have ever had anyone ask me if DH and I were still together, it was a girl from college who had a thing for him. I think she was checking to see if he was "open for business."

I would always assume a couple was still together unless I knew otherwise.

Add me to the weird bench.

Premier Sponsor
    It's weird .....I have had extremely weird & rude questions asked since DH passed. I chuck it up to a lot of people have no social skills
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!