Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School board will no longer restrict foods due to allergies

School board will no longer restrict foods due to allergies

The French school board has announced that it will not longer have a restrictive food policy to protect children with allergies.

They've decided that it would be more beneficial to focus on staff training and awareness. Do you agree?

Yes.

My blog - A Northern Life

I agree as well.

This is how the school board I worked in for 20 years dealt with allergies. It worked really well, from what I heard around the district. And none of the parents of allergic kids that I knew had issues enough to fight for more restrictions.

Not for the younger grades. 6th and up is entirely different from being in a building where little ones are putting their hands in their mouths and touching everything. I do think bands give a false impression of safety, so increased training is always a good idea.

Why not do both?
    Esp for the younger grades
    We will be moving to the new forum on November 1st.
    Be sure to register.

http://webegtodiffer.boards.net/

Let's see, do I eliminate the physical threat itself, or do I allow the threat to remain but instead depend on human competency for safety? ..... hmmm ......
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

When I worked in an elementary grade public school going on wow! 15 years ago, there was no real allergen ban. We made peanut butter sandwiches daily for the kids, right on the line. soy butter sandwiches were available on request. Materials used for making peanut butter sandwiches was separated, but not exactly quarantined. The counter was washed in between doing the 100 PB sandwiches, and the 100 cold cut ones. Staff knowledge, and parental communication is really key. With 900 kids there were quite a few allergic kids, and diet restricted kids but the system seemed to always work, without an outright allergen ban.

Our board has a full ban for nuts at the elementary school level and then any parent can request a school specific ban based on their child's needs. I think with younger kids this may be required and I don't really have a problem with my kid not eating nuts at school if it can save the life of another child. However there was one weird situation that I thought was odd. There was one girl in ds' school who was 3 years older than him with multiple food allergies - most of the kids in her class - especially her friends - wouldn't bring in the foods she was allergic too (eggs, sesame, etc). Once she was in grade 4 - and therefore older and more able to manage her allergies - the parents requested a sesame ban for the entire school. I couldn't figure out why - to me it would have made more sense when she was 5 - not 9. She left the school 3 years before ds did - but the sesame ban was never lifted.

In Ontario we don't have school cafeterias at the elementary level (there may be some weird schools in Toronto that do but it is not the norm) so kids eat in their own classrooms. I've heard arguments for and against nut bans - but really it's not that big of a deal for me. I would feel horrible if a kid died because my kid had to eat PB&J every day.

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Not for the younger grades. 6th and up is entirely different from being in a building where little ones are putting their hands in their mouths and touching everything. I do think bands give a false impression of safety, so increased training is always a good idea.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Ours doesn't ban schoolwide. At the beginning of the year they tell you what the allergies in your child's class are and ask you to send a snack free of those allergens, because they eat snack in the classroom. For lunch there are allergen free tables. I know I've heard parents complain about mild to moderate reactions, but I haven't heard of anything major.