Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you make your teenager sit in front with you?

Do you make your teenager sit in front with you?

Starting as soon as my daughter was old enough to sit in the front seat, I made her sit up front with me when we drove her friends somewhere. It always annoyed dd, especially when I would *gasp* chat with her friends while I drove. Apparently her friends' parents let them all sit in the back, and would keep silent. I told her I wasn't the paid help, I was another person in the car and would act accordingly.

This one was one of the few things that dd made a stink about in her teen years, poor thing.

Which is/was/will be your style?

DD is 12 right now. She sits in the back even when it's just her and I. The safest place in the car is the backseat until at least age 13. She does occasionally ride in the front seat for short trips in town and it's the highlight of the trip, LOL. I won't make her sit in the front seat when she's 13. I'd drive from the backseat if I could!

As for the silent thing, that's rude to expect your parents driving to keep silent. I agree that I should be able to participate in conversation and ask questions even if I'm a parent.

I don't remember. I know the two older girls always yelled shotgun to decide who got to sit in the front, but if they had friends with them then they probably sat in the back. Gawd, it's been awhile.

Roxy is now 10 years old and 4'9" so she's met the legal requirement to ditch the booster seat and sit in the front with me, but we haven't done so yet. It would be kind of fun for both of us I'm sure, but I feel like she's safer back there so I haven't made the transition. I may have issues with wanting this one to stay this age forever.

ETA: Also, I am going to sing whether anyone likes it or not. Sorry not sorry.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

I never cared where she sat.

When I don't say a word, I learn a lot more. If I'm quiet, they forget a parent is there. I do chime in occasionally, but, only with sage wisdom or an appropriate Dad Joke.

When I don't say a word, I learn a lot more. If I'm quiet, they forget a parent is there. I do chime in occasionally, but, only with sage wisdom or an appropriate Dad Joke.
    I am here (except change dad to mom)
    Most of the time, if I am the only adult in the car, we are just going to be traveling for a few minutes from one house to another, or one practice to another, etc. If we are going somewhere for the long haul, my husband and I are in the front seat and the boys are giggling in the back.

I don't care if they all sit in the back, but I talk all the time. I am sure they find it mortifying. I don't care.

Both of mine drive now but back when I was the driver it was the opposite. My kids would sit in front with me and then spend the whole car ride half turned around so they could talk to their friends. I was always telling them they should sit in back so they could talk to each other like normal people.

I also tried to stay on the quiet side and let the kids talk. You hear all sorts of interesting information that way!

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post

Exactly this.

My kids know I'm eavesdropping like the NSA on crack, so they include me in the conversation lest a friend forget.

I don't really care where they sit, but if they want to talk to me it's best to sit up front. I like for them to spend time in the passenger seat because we discuss other drivers and traffic situations. My kids are all super tall so they can sit up front sooner than most of their friends. I want them to have significant front seat experience and mom lectures before they start driving. Once they do, I'll make them drive everywhere in every condition. I'm sure it's irritating, but it's the best way to get solid experience before they solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    My kids know I'm eavesdropping like the NSA on crack, so they include me in the conversation lest a friend forget.

I don't really care where they sit, but if they want to talk to me it's best to sit up front. I like for them to spend time in the passenger seat because we discuss other drivers and traffic situations. My kids are all super tall so they can sit up front sooner than most of their friends. I want them to have significant front seat experience and mom lectures before they start driving. Once they do, I'll make them drive everywhere in every condition. I'm sure it's irritating, but it's the best way to get solid experience before they solo.
    Mine get a lot of driving lessons up front as well. We have a game called "Count the dumbasses."