Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Time to make the dinner

I am the cook, with regular chimings of "I'll make dinner tonight!" from my 18 year old pescatarian daughter. Usually, that involves another trip to the store for me. When dh is home, his idea of fixing dinner is to light the grill, slap the main dish onto it, and wait while someone else does everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    When dh is home, his idea of fixing dinner is to light the grill, slap the main dish onto it, and wait while someone else does everything else.
    When fire is involved, men will cook.

I stay home and DH works all day, but DH enjoys cooking and is great at making things up. I'm good at the prep cooking so will try to do any chopping and peeling before he gets home.
    I hate it when I'm singing a song and the artist gets the words wrong.

I make dinner. I like to cook and I'm home by mid-afternoon. Also, dh is a terrible cook. He periodically decides that he will Help Out More, and instead of washing windows or something, I have to think of something he can cook and walk him through it. I'm always glad when that phase passes. He also grills, by which he means "cooks hamburgers or steaks". But nothing else.

Dd is a vegetarian and she cooks for herself when I'm not fixing something that she wants to eat.

I ask everybody every week what they'd like for dinner and plan around that. At this point, I don't cook every night, because there is plenty to eat.

Dh would be happy to go out more because he is a lot more sociable than I am. Now that the kitchen is so nice, I really am happy to putter around in it...
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Is finally happy again... UtaCO's Avatar
    J and I both work full time and we both have a great cantina at work, so we eat our hot meal for lunch there. In the evening, it's the typical German dinner: bread and cold cuts. :)
    I do love cooking though, so I always plan nice dinners for the weekend.

I'm the decider.

I would love for people to pitch in with the deciding, but so far other than the occasional "let's go to the hibachi place" there's very little help on the deciding. Can make stuff that the kids have scarfed down for years and now it's "No. that's gross, I'm not eating THAT" and then the next week they scarf it down again. my older two are old enough to cook for themselves and I keep a supply of stuff they can make on hand. Last night S made herself a chicken soup, E had cereal while Dh and I had some fancy chicken and pasta from a local place. I think they'll be normal eaters eventually but I'm just done shoving healthy stuff down their throats. They'll get it or they won't, just not my hill to die on.

The other night S, my 12 year old said she wants to know how to cook. I mentioned a one week cooking camp I heard about, she's like "No. I want to make what you make"

I'll teach her (if she's ever in the mood again) but the back and forth is frustrating. She's in sixth grade and I think a lot of her friends are flirting with eating disorders by the sound of it. Lately she's been trying to chew bubble yum when she's hungry. She is a totally normal size but she's expressing worry about a very overweight girl in her PE class and how that must be hard, going through middle school overweight. My CrossFit guy is planning nutrition sessions and beginning classes for her age group, so I think I'm gonna take her to that. He is 25 and dreamy, maybe she'll listen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    I'm the decider.

I would love for people to pitch in with the deciding, but so far other than the occasional "let's go to the hibachi place" there's very little help on the deciding. Can make stuff that the kids have scarfed down for years and now it's "No. that's gross, I'm not eating THAT" and then the next week they scarf it down again. my older two are old enough to cook for themselves and I keep a supply of stuff they can make on hand. Last night S made herself a chicken soup, E had cereal while Dh and I had some fancy chicken and pasta from a local place. I think they'll be normal eaters eventually but I'm just done shoving healthy stuff down their throats. They'll get it or they won't, just not my hill to die on.

The other night S, my 12 year old said she wants to know how to cook. I mentioned a one week cooking camp I heard about, she's like "No. I want to make what you make"

I'll teach her (if she's ever in the mood again) but the back and forth is frustrating. She's in sixth grade and I think a lot of her friends are flirting with eating disorders by the sound of it. Lately she's been trying to chew bubble yum when she's hungry. She is a totally normal size but she's expressing worry about a very overweight girl in her PE class and how that must be hard, going through middle school overweight. My CrossFit guy is planning nutrition sessions and beginning classes for her age group, so I think I'm gonna take her to that. He is 25 and dreamy, maybe she'll listen to him.
    Ugh. I worry about that with Matthew as well. He is rail thin and eats like once a day. The only thing that makes me not too worried is that he will eat unlimited amounts of take out or restaurant food. I just refuse to give in to that. He has always been a healthy eater, but he just does not eat a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Ugh. I worry about that with Matthew as well. He is rail thin and eats like once a day. The only thing that makes me not too worried is that he will eat unlimited amounts of take out or restaurant food. I just refuse to give in to that. He has always been a healthy eater, but he just does not eat a lot.
    S too, with certain dinners or hibachi. There's just so much social pressure to be a certain size in the area we're in right now. It's all about how thin can you go. We have a sort of pin-up girl body type (though coming off my fourth baby I'm considerably past that) and she's never gonna be rail thin. We just don't have the frame for that.

But her friends get their body issues from their moms, who are never satisfied. And then there's all the print/tv/movie glorification. If she read girlie magazines she'd see that her future body type is pretty well regarded in terms of desirability, but letting her do that seems a little OTT. .

Right now I'm promoting what your body can do for you in terms of strength, endurance and health. But no matter what I do or say, she's gonna have to come to terms with it on her own, and part of that input is going to come from her misled friends. But if she gets really hungry or is faced with a meal she adores, she eats.