Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to make the dinner

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar

Time to make the dinner

Whose "job" is it to come up with dinner every night? Does this change depending on schedules? Do you think a SAH spouse should be making sure dinner is on the table when the WOH spouse gets home? What if both spouses work outside the home?

When my husband is home he always likes to make dinner if we are staying in. It's one of my most favorite things to come home to, because I hate cooking for one! ( I have a notoriously picky eater child! lol)

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Well, dinner can at times be a scattershot affair in our house Half the time, DH doesn't like what I make for dinner, so he makes his own. I often make supper for the kids, and DH and I just fend for ourselves. I often don't feel like having a big meal at supper anyway.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Does this change depending on schedules? Do you think a SAH spouse should be making sure dinner is on the table when the WOH spouse gets home? What if both spouses work outside the home?
    Yes.
    Depends on what time they get home.
    Take turns.

I work part time, so I do a lot of it. But some of my shifts go until 6 or 7pm, then dh takes care of it. Works for us. My dinners tend to be more homemade, but I appreciate his Hamburger Helper or nachos anyway.

Crunchy and a little nutty PB&J's Avatar
    I make dinner every night. I work M-F but I'm home by 1pm every day and DH doesn't get home until around 6. So cooking is my duty. I enjoy cooking and usually cook every night. We usually have leftovers at least one day but for the most part, I cook every day of the week. We go out to eat maybe once a month and get take out maybe once or twice.

When I used to work evenings DH would make dinner. So it can change depending on our work schedule. I don't expect our work schedule to change any time soon, though.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    I cook primarily, when we are both working I usually do the meal planning and I try to plan stuff that is easy during the week
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

DW is usually in charge of the meals. I'm awful at making food and she prefers homemade food. I have no expectation of when or if food is going to be ready. I call her to see if she's making something, I need to fend for myself or if she wants me to pick up something for everyone.

We decide what we are going to eat, agree on it, and then whoever makes it better, cooks. That usually means DH cooks. He is a much better cook. I stay at home, but I am hardly sitting around. In fact, with homeschooling both boys, sometimes I think I do more at home than DH does when he is at work. I have seen too much of the stuff he creates at work (photoshopping stuff of the kids and dogs to put on FB) to think he is working hard all day.

We wing it.

When the boys were younger I did all of the meal planning.

Now we all mostly fend for ourselves, but I like to do a nicer Sunday dinner.
    I still do the bulk of the grocery shopping.
    We will be moving to the new forum on November 1st.
    Be sure to register.

http://webegtodiffer.boards.net/

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    It's been my thing since I was home. But, I start a full-time job next week, so I expect some friction with DS and DH when they are expected to cook dinner, too.