Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to make the dinner

It's my job, one which I do crappily and begrudgingly. With me not working, it makes sense that shopping and meal planning and cooking falls to me. Unfortunately, I hate all those things. I accept that it makes sense and it's my way of contributing to the household, but I still hate cooking.

And perhaps why I started a thread on buying meals someone else cooked. That still counts as meal planning, right? I plan for her to make our dinner.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It's my job, one which I do crappily and begrudgingly. With me not working, it makes sense that shopping and meal planning and cooking falls to me. Unfortunately, I hate all those things. I accept that it makes sense and it's my way of contributing to the household, but I still hate cooking.

And perhaps why I started a thread on buying meals someone else cooked. That still counts as meal planning, right? I plan for her to make our dinner.
    It absolutely does! I wish I had something like that around me. I probably do, but am too lazy to look.

In the summer, I do more cooking, because he works longer hours away from home.

In the winter, he does more cooking, because he works fewer hours and many of them are from home.

He's a better cook than I am, except meat. I am the meat master in our house.

We usually look at each other around dinner time and say, "so what are we gonna have?"

I stay at home and I do 99% of the meal planning, shopping and cooking. Dh smoked a chicken last weekend that was divine and ds made us breakfast a couple of weekends ago. If I do not feel like cooking, I tell them and they eat leftovers or find something to make. There are always options.

I enjoy looking for new recipes and trying them out. I don't really have a set timeline for "supper". It is anywhere between 5 and 8. That comes from having kids in a million different sporting activities and a husband that never knows what time he will be home. There are a lot of times we eat in shifts depending on when everyone comes home.

Me, daily. This is why in my next life (or if I win the lottery in this life) I am going to have a personal chef.

I don't enjoy the whole process of cooking but I do it because I enjoy eating and DH is pretty much lousy at it. Only rarely do I get into it and actually enjoy it, otherwise it's something I have to do every day to maintain our food habits. My problem is I'm a decent enough basic cook and have perfected a few things really well, but I have no imagination or curiosity in the kitchen. I stick to only a few basic spices and herbs and get intimidated to try anything too wild and crazy in case no one likes it. Plus I am very much a meat and potatoes kind of girl, I don't have a huge variety of foods I even like.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

If my dh is home he plans dinner. He did this even when I was a SAHM. He likes to cook and find it relaxing. He's not always home for the midweek meals and ds and I usually do small things like breakfast for dinner, or perogies or something. Now that I'm working part time I'll usually make something on my day off for dinner.

I have always done the majority of the cooking because I was mostly at home and even when I wasn't, he used to travel 3-5 days a week. Also I am the better cook. I recently started working 4 days a week, which will become 5 days as of early August, so he has started working from home two days a week and is responsible for dinner on those days. His repertoire so far consists of tacos, burgers, and pizza delivery, so the kids are enjoying the days when he does dinner.

We used a Hello Fresh type of service before that worked pretty well. I might start that up again. I just tried a new one where they send you only the spices and sauces plus the recipe, and you buy the actual meat/vegetables. It's really cheap and you don't need to worry about using it by a certain date. Plus it gives some variety, since we tend to just make the same things over and over.

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    I am home, so I plan and prepare 95% of the meals. My husband likes to cook and will do so a couple times a month. He does all the grilling. If I ask for his input planning he makes suggestions.

Thankful for the tomorrows... Katrina's Avatar
    I do most of the cooking, meal planning and grocery shopping, but I enjoy it. I'm also home most days by 4 pm so I have time. We usually have to be out for an evening kid activity by 6:00 pm, so during the week our meals are pretty quick and easy. DH will cook if I am not around for some reason. He is pretty good at a few dishes that the kids really enjoy. I enjoy cooking more elaborate meals on the weekend.

DH always cleans up and is the king of the dishwasher. It's pretty rare that I even touch the darn thing!