Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you expect to pay for prepared meals?

What would you expect to pay for prepared meals?

There's a woman on base who recently started a meal prep service. The meals are 100% cooked. You just reheat. It's things like Asian Cabbage Salad, Beef and Broccoli, or Cuban meat and veggies on quinoa. You can choose how many meals per week, how often you pick up (but you do have to pick up, although everyone lives about 2 minutes walk from everyone else so it barely matters), and can specify some details (no mushrooms, light on dairy, etc.). Each meal comes in a Tupperware (which you have to supply, or you can have her do it and she'll sell you the containers at cost) and all you have to do is pop it in the microwave or put dressing on a salad.

It's all home-cooked and fairly healthy.

What would you expect to be the cost for this kind of thing (per serving)?

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    I would probably look around at my grocery stores to get an idea of what prepackaged just heat meals go for. Although it sounds like she's doing a bit more cooking to order so that would have to be factored in as well.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    $12 meal average. As little as $10 for a pasta meal with no protein component, up to $15 if it had more expensive ingredients.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Premier Sponsor
    How many people does each meal serve?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    $12 meal average. As little as $10 for a pasta meal with no protein component, up to $15 if it had more expensive ingredients.
    I have a local place in town where you can pick up meals to go, this pricing is comparable, and You don't have to provide a container to boot.

I WISH I could find someone around me that does this!

Dh and I looked into such a service here. Using quality local ingredients, it's $10/person/meal delivered weekly, in their containers.

Quote Originally Posted by kendriln View Post
    How many people does each meal serve?
    It's charged per serving, so 1, although you can get it to serve as many as you want, but you pay per person, if that makes sense.

Her pricing varies based on the number of meals per week, but for 10 meals a week, it's $7.80 per. I don't think she's charging enough. I'm not going to tell her that, because it's her business, but I figured it would be a no-go for us because I wouldn't want to pay a fortune to fund my laziness and hatred of cooking. When I saw her prices, I signed up. I've found the portions to be just about right. They aren't incredibly generous, but that's kind of the point. And they definitely don't scrimp on the meat, which was the other thing I worried about.

While Dh was gone, I decided to eat as many of her things as possible. (And I've lost 3.5 pounds in about 2 weeks!) She charges the same for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. Cut up veggies and a serving of hummus (not sure if that's homemade) for $7.80 seems like a lot, but for the actual meals, it seems like a great deal, and I'm probably going to keep doing those a couple nights a week for DH and myself when he gets home. Maybe a couple days worth of lunches, too, especially for him.

I don't know how she's making any money, especially because groceries here can be really expensive. (The other day, our commissary had jalapenos for $11.99/lb!) You can do okay if you don't have anything specific in mind and just buy what is cheaper, but even then, I think it's more expensive than being Stateside.

Premier Sponsor
    I think she's under-charging.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error