Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is living apart good for a marriage?

Is living apart good for a marriage?

Link

Imagine it: you don’t see his socks strewn across the floor. Her elephantine snoring no longer wakes you. You can actually hear yourself think. When you meet up with your partner, the spark of romance crackles in the air once again.

Doesn’t sound so bad, does it?

The ancient Romans thought that sleeping in the same bed ruined a marriage. What about sleeping under the same roof?

If you’re a trend-watcher like me, you may have noticed an increasing number of stories in the media about married couples living apart. That’s because the number of people going this route is skyrocketing. According the U.S. Census Bureau, an estimated 3.5 million married couples in the U.S. are living apart. The number of married couples who live separately for reasons other than legal separation has nearly doubled since 1990.
    researchers Judye Hess and Padma Catell found that high divorce rates may be linked to narrow frameworks which cause people to accept the idea that married partners must live together and that not wanting to indicates some sort of problem or pathlogogy. Hess and Catell argue that this is a myth. Leave It to Beaver-style togetherness, they suggest, is not necessarily a recipe for satisfaction, and is often quite the reverse. Differences in neatness or tastes in decorating that seem like minor issues become amplified when sharing a home and can wear down nerves over time. Feelings of engulfment and loss of self are common among couples sharing a roof, and can lead to bitterness and resentment, even depression.

The counter-argument from some psychologists is that the choice to live apart reflects more selfishness and an over-emphasis on individualism. Learning to live with another person, they argue, is necessary for growth. But for some, the grin-and-bear-it approach does not make for a satisfying life.
    Is living under the same roof a key part of a successful marriage?

If he decided he was living somewhere else, I would decide it was over. Not for me.

The 9 months we lived apart probably saved our marriage. However I would never do it again. So not for me.

Is living apart good for a marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    If he decided he was living somewhere else, I would decide it was over. Not for me.

Why stay married to someone you can't stand to be around long term? If either one of you has troubles with boundaries or "losing themself", then maybe marriage isn't for you.

There are lots of people in my life that I enjoy the company of but don't live with. Dh is special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband is a long distance truck driver. We go weeks without seeing each other daily, and I will say there is a thrill when he comes home, that is different than when he was coming home to me daily. But that's just his job that keeps him away, if he decided he wanted to live somewhere else and visit me, that would just be nuts, I don't know why I would bother marrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Yeah we would stop being married if my husband didn't want to live with me anymore

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    My husband has the possibility in the next 3-5 years of getting a traveling job with his company. I think I'd be okay with it. I love him of course, but a few days away here and there would probably be good for us.

I have joked for a long time that the perfect setup would be living in houses next to each other. But after a quarter of a century, we've kinda figured out how to live together and deal with each others issues and habits, so I don't see the need for that anymore. If I don't do the dishes before going to bed, he no longer cares.

When circumstances strongly dictate it, I understand. I think sometimes, temporary separations can be good for a marriage. But if it's a permanent thing and it's because things don't really work when we are together, I guess I really wouldn't see the point of staying married.

For me it would be like DH saying, "Hey, let's live apart, sleep with and have romantic relationships with other people, have totally separate finances and make major decisions on our own, but I still want to be married to you." Those things are fundamental to a marriage for me, so that doesn't even make sense. Why be married to someone you don't want to be with? What's the upside? For me, marriage is about shared life. If you aren't going to have that? Why get or stay married? You can live apart and have occasional booty call weekends as a single person.

Wait a minute…I might agree to stay married if he kept having his paycheck deposited into MY account.

I mean, I don't plan on getting married again anyway, so that could work. ;)