Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump's Middle East visit: What to expect

Trump's Middle East visit: What to expect

Donald Trump heads to Saudi Arabia on Friday on his first foreign trip as president to repair relations with the United States' closest Arab ally, restart the Arab-Israeli peace process and, potentially, reassert the US security role in the region.
    Going to Saudi Arabia first is a highly symbolic move for President Trump who is struggling with political troubles at home, but is drawing optimism from Arab leaders despite his deep unpopularity in Arab public opinion for his anti-Muslim commentary during the 2016 US election campaign.

The president will hold a series of meetings starting on Saturday with Saudi rulers, including King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The Saudis want more US help confronting Iran and armed groups, as well as private investment in Saudi companies.

"You have a president who clearly, despite many negative comments he's made about Saudi Arabia, is treating them as an ally. The optics will be very good," said Aaron David Miller, a Middle East analyst at the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars in Washington DC.

Trump will hold a separate session with leaders of the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council to discuss the civil war in Syria and potential "de-escalation zones" to provide safe areas for civilians.
    The US president will lunch with 56 invited Arab and Muslim leaders to discuss combating "extremism" and cracking down on illicit financing of armed groups, according to the White House.

Trump will not come away empty-handed. The president expects to ink a $100bn arms sale with Saudi Arabia. Several leading American CEOs from companies will be meeting with Saudi counterparts to discuss potential investments in the kingdom's privatisation drive, Saudi Vision 2030.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...023532492.html

Is this arms sale with Saudi Arabia a good thing?

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    The US has been supplying arms to the Middle East for like forever.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

We're the biggest arms dealer in the world. We've also armed the cartels via numerous border gun shops that exchange assault weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition for suitcases full of cash. We're also successfully in the process of arming every man and woman in the United States.

I'd say it's just business usual.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Premier Sponsor
    What to expect: fiasco.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it through without some fiasco.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

If anyone was going to broker peace in the ME, it would be Trump!

Trump calls on Middle Eastern nations to 'drive out' extremists in first major speech abroad

In his first high-stakes speech abroad, President Trump called on Middle Eastern nations to “drive out” extremists.
    “The nations of the Middle East will have to decide what kind of future they want for themselves, for their country and, frankly, for their families and for their children,” Trump said to a roomful of leaders from more than 50 predominantly Muslim countries.
    “It's a choice between two futures, and it is a choice America cannot make for you. A better future is only possible if your nations drive out the terrorists and drive out the extremists. Drive them out. Drive them out of your places of worship. Drive them out of your communities. Drive them out of your holy land. And drive them out of this Earth,” he said.
    The president's speech at the Arab Islamic American Summit in Ridyadh, Saudi Arabia, came on the second day of a trip that the administration sees as a chance to "start a new chapter in the history of the region," as one senior administration official told ABC News.
    Trump in his address took a far more measured tone on Islam than during the campaign, when he called for the “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,” and said that he thinks “Islam hates us.”
    Notably, he did not use the phrase "radical Islamic terrorism," a term that has been a hallmark of his rhetoric at domestic events and which has drawn criticism abroad.
    Instead Trump in his speech referred to what he called “the crisis of Islamist extremism and the Islamist terror groups it inspires.”
    “This is not a battle between different faiths, different sects, or different civilizations. This is a battle between barbaric criminals who seek to obliterate human life and decent people of all religions who seek to protect it,” Trump said. “This is a battle between good and evil.”
    And, rather than painting Islam as an apparent enemy of the U.S., as Trump did during the presidential campaign, he depicted the Muslim world as an important partner in combating extremism.
    He noted that while terrorism has taken the lives of innocent people in every corner of the world, Middle Eastern countries “have borne the brunt of the killings and the worst of the destruction in this wave of fanatical violence.”
    “We are not here to lecture,” Trump said. "Instead, we are here to offer partnership -- based on shared interests and values -- to pursue a better future for us all.”
    He encouraged Middle Eastern countries to join the U.S. in the fight against radical groups like ISIS.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump...ry?id=47533001

So far, so good? Nothing wrong in this speech...

What we are seeing is a major shift from a pro-Iranian policy to a pro-Arab policy. North Korea and Iran have been working hard to develop a nuclear capability to threaten us. Despite all the agreements and treaties, they've never stopped.

There's no brokering peace in the ME, can we stop pretending that this is achievable any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post

There's no brokering peace in the ME, can we stop pretending that this is achievable any time soon?
    Right.

What we are seeing is a major shift from a pro-Iranian policy to a pro-Arab policy. North Korea and Iran have been working hard to develop a nuclear capability to threaten us. Despite all the agreements and treaties, they've never stopped.

Oh, pish posh.

Sitting down to lunch with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and senior U.S. and Palestinian officials, Trump said securing a peace deal between Israelis and Palestinians after more than six decades of conflict was "frankly maybe not as difficult as people have thought over the years."
    http://www.newsweek.com/trump-peace-...thought-594294

Trump! Trump! He's our man.
    If he can't do it, no one can!!

The first step is that the Palestinians (and more importantly, their backers) have to accept that Israel has a right to exist. Pretty hard to make a deal when one sides' position is that the other side can't exist as part of that deal.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

'You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook.' - Harry S. Truman