Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on dog/neighbor issue

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar

Need advice on dog/neighbor issue

Ugh I need advice:
    So Titan is a dog up the street. We are friendly with the owners, kids play together and whatnot. Titan gets out fairly frequently, more so when he was younger. When he gets out he runs down to see Charlie.
    Evidently last month he ran down and Charlie and Luna both got out and they had to be broken up by the neighbor. The boys said he looked fine. We didn't hear anything from the owners.
    Tonight we were looping through the cul de sac to come back and park, and saw them. She tells me he had surgery today. Evidently when the dogs got into it he got a hernia and his intestines were pushing through. We had no idea, they never said anything.
    I feel terrible, I offered to help with the surgical costs. But I'm curious what you think is fair? I mean I CAN do the full amount, but $600 is a lot of money for something I wasn't planning on. But I also feel like while my dogs caused him harm, he was also in my yard. So I didn't know if it was reasonable to offer to cover half?
    Our dogs have never been aggressive. I don't know if it was that he came into the yard while they were out or what. We have never seen signs of aggression, but Titan has also not run down since we got Luna, so I wonder if it's a territory-pack behavior.
    I've never had to deal with something like this. Help!

I wouldn't have offered to pay anything and would have had to bite my tongue not to point out that I'd be expecting them to cover vet costs had Titan injured one of my dogs.

They know Titan gets out a lot, they obviously don't really care or else they would have done something about it by now. It really, really pisses me off when people let their dogs run loose like that.

He came into your yard and was on your property. It's their own fault their dog was hurt.

Premier Sponsor
    If a stray gets in your yard and wrestles with your dog, that is the owner of the stray's issue.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

This is not your responsibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, not your problem. They need to control their dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone else. If Titan were a "one off" escapee, my guilt would get the best of me. However, if the neighbors routinely have to hunt for their dog, this is not your responsibility.

I agree with the others, I would not have offered.

Premier Sponsor
    Actions have consequences and it seems to me the natural consequence to your dog getting out of the yard is bearing the cost of injuries or damages your dog sustains or causes.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    If a stray gets in your yard and wrestles with your dog, that is the owner of the stray's issue.
    This. Nice of you to make the offer, but frankly they need to work on keeping their dog in their damn yard.

I can only see this being your responsibility if your dog got into their yard and hurt their dog. Since the opposite happened, the most I would do is offer concern for the dog's well-being and wish him a speedy recovery.