Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on dog/neighbor issue

Team Everyone.

Their dog was loose in your yard? That's on them.

But now that you've offered, if they bring it up again, it may be hard to back out. So I'd have a plan for what you are going to say. Certainly *DO NOT* offer to pay the full cost, unless maybe you indicated that specifically when you made the first offer. If you can't really back out entirely, I'd offer either $100, or half. But be prepared for this to get awkward because the initial offer gave the impression you did feel at least partly responsible, and now quantifying just how responsible may clash with her ideas of how responsible.

When you made the offer, what did she say? Frankly, she should be embarrassed to take money from you. She needs to better control her animal, and the results of her not doing so are 100% her responsibility.

Also, surgery a month later? Is she even sure this was related to the fight? Or that there weren't other fights with other animals while her dog was out exploring?

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    That's like somebody climbing your fence to get into your yard, getting hurt and asking you to help them with their hospital bill
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Titan gets out fairly frequently, more so when he was younger. When he gets out he runs down to see Charlie.
    Evidently last month he ran down and Charlie and Luna both got out and they had to be broken up by the neighbor.
    Titan was the aggressor and guilty of aggravated assault. Other than being too sweet, you are guilty of nothing whatsoever.

Maybe the vet costs will motivate the owners to properly secure their animal in their yard in the future.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    Yeah that is not your fault at all.

My neighbor's Beagle used to dig under the fence and hang out with my Lab. Nothing bad ever happened, I would just look outside and there was Bagel wagging his tail at the door waiting for me to let Nitro out.

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar
    Thank you. I didn't know if I was being unreasonable or what. I didn't offer an amount all I said was "can I help you with some of it?" She said "would you?" And seemed really relieved. I offered because I feel terrible that my dogs would harm another dog. But at the same time, if he wasn't in my yard it wouldn't have happened.

Just say " now that I've had more time to think about it...."

Premier Sponsor
    I agree with Vill.

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    The most I'd pay is $100. If she wants to get pissy about it, point out that if she'd keep her damn dog contained, it wouldn't have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Just say " now that I've had more time to think about it...."
    Ayup. Or alternatively, "I've talked it over with my invisible friends, and they think I shouldn't have to pay anything."

You're not being unreasonable at all. If your dogs got out of your yard and they were fighting in the street, yeah then they'd have a point, but they need to control their animal (and maybe this will motivate them).
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"