6 21.43%
  • I just flit around online

14 50.00%
  • Other (please explain)

1 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Print media is dead" (Poll)

I was surprised by the number of people who subscribe to magazines because 2/3 of them seem to be ads. If anyone wants to comment, why do you buy magazines?
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Well I work in the print media - so it's not dead! But it's not great either . As for newspapers I read my local (free) community newspaper and I read a daily onine. I used to get a daily delivered but then I would get backlogged on reading it and it was just wasteful. Dh doesn't read the paper but gets ridiculously excited about all the flyers contained within .

I don't get magazines anymore because there's none I have a burning interest in.

I get ~10 magazines and publications in the mail that are all related to genealogy and libraries. Most of them come automatically with membership to various organizations I belong to, but I do actually read and use them.

I normally buy the Sunday paper, and will often get one when I go to the grocery store (I get one free newspaper per day with my store club card), but I don't get the paper delivered because I will just end up with a giant newspaper pile in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    I was surprised by the number of people who subscribe to magazines because 2/3 of them seem to be ads. If anyone wants to comment, why do you buy magazines?
    I love holding them in my hands to read them. They do have a lot of ads, but not overwhelmingly so. Plus, I like looking at some of the ads.

I am pretty sure the mail lady hates me though. Some days, I get a pile of magazines.

We subscribe to Star, OK, US, Health, Real Simple, Martha Stewart Living, Architectural Digest, Smithsonian, Mac World, Mac Life, Sports Illustrated, Communication Arts, This Old House, Entertainment Weekly, and Traveler. I am dropping OK and US though because I like Star better and they almost always have the same info and pics.

If anyone wants to comment, why do you buy magazines?
    Because I need something to read while I shit?

I don't get newspapers anymore. Haven't since maybe 1997? I occasionally buy Women's World. They are cheap and don't have ads, I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We don't buy any magazines or papers anymore but we do still get a few oddball magazines in the mail. Like Men's Fitness sometimes. I have no idea why, we don't pay for it, we've never paid for it, it just shows up.

I subscribe to the magazines I receive in the mail for a couple of different reasons.

1-the fact that I, like Kim, enjoy the tactile experience of print-in-hand
    2-it is much less messy (destructive?) to read a magazine when dining alone than scrolling through on a phone, tablet, or laptop (I suppose this could also cover bathroom reading).
    3-I can write in the margins of the magazine, turn down pages, and then pass it along to people like my MIL, my daughters, whomever. I rarely have difficulty having to scroll through what I have already read to get to my starting point when I resume reading.
    4-as ridiculous as it may seem, magazine subscriptions can be a big fundraiser for schools and other organizations. Although I realize the school or org gets more from a cash donation, my neighborhood kids don't always understand that truth. When I buy a subscription this way, I think of it as the equivalent of buying Girl Scout Cookies or Popcorn from the Boy Scouts.

At one point I had subscriptions to fashion mags like Harper's Bazaar and Elle. Those are full of fashion ads, but interesting to look at, from an arty perspective.

Like Peanut mentioned I enjoy ordering them for fundraisers, so I mix it up a bit when I order.

"Print media is dead" (Poll)

I refuse to let my scouts do the magazine sale (or the nut sale, for that matter). The cookie sale is more than enough. Also the magazine sale encourages them to provide addresses of five people for some sort of bonus and I don't believe in informing on people you love, not even to promote scouting.

I get Vanity Fair, only because Trump tweeted some shit about their subscription rates falling and they responded on FB by offering $5 subscriptions. Which I loved, so I bought one for me and one for my mom and I'll probably re-up at the standard rate because I love them for doing it. I hate the ads and it smells like a whorehouse, so weirdly perfume-y. But they're doing some good journalism. I may get Teen Vogue for the girls because they're doing it too and I want to support that. I'll just tell them to ignore whatever ads that say you just can't LIVE without some $1K purse.