Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Corporate Family Leave Policies Are Fueling Inequality

How Corporate Family Leave Policies Are Fueling Inequality

Starbucks is one of many large U.S. corporations to offer generous paid parental leave to corporate employees while short-changing part-time, hourly workers

Some major U.S. corporations recently made headlines by creating relatively generous paid parental leave policies—but a new report out Wednesday shows that most companies only offer paid leave to their corporate employees, and short-change low-wage, hourly workers who would benefit from such policies the most.
    For example, Starbucks received glowing praise for creating a maternity leave policy that allows new mothers to take 18 weeks off of work, fully paid. But the majority of Starbucks employees—its baristas—wouldn't benefit. The paid leave policy only applies to corporate workers.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...ing-inequality

Should employers invest in benefits for their part-timers?

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Not having to provide benefits to part-time employees is one of the reasons so many newly created jobs are part-time only.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Also, Starbucks has a relatively generous benefit package for their part-time employees. There are so many companies that don't give any benefits at all to part-timers, not even one sick day let alone fully paid maternity leave.

Will the majority of companies start to offer generous benefits packages (on par with the perquisites given to corporate full timers) to its part-time employees? Unlikely.

Should it? I don't know but if wishes were horses, we'd all ride.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

I am not sure how much it would actually costs employers to include hourly workers in their benefits packages, but when I think of most places (like the fast food industry) their turn around rate is pretty rapid.

On the other hand, maybe some benefits would encourage them to stay longer?

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    What is the churn rate on their part time employees? Might not even be worth the expense if their non corporate employees do not stick around for very long.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    I am not sure how much it would actually costs employers to include hourly workers in their benefits packages, but when I think of most places (like the fast food industry) their turn around rate is pretty rapid.

On the other hand, maybe some benefits would encourage them to stay longer?
    Benefits are expensive to companies. When I was the budget analyst for Grid, we estimated benefits to be 1 to 1-1/2 times their annual salary. So the actual cost of an employee was 2 to 2-1/2 times that employee's salary.

Yeah, I know how much my Company spends on my benefits . I'm not cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    What is the churn rate on their part time employees? Might not even be worth the expense if their non corporate employees do not stick around for very long.
    I remember seeing a list of goals at a McDonalds that I worked at during grad school. One was to get turnover to under 200%, which I believe means that the average worker was there less than 6 months.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

'You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook.' - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Yeah, I know how much my Company spends on my benefits . I'm not cheap!
    I'm not cheap, either. Pretty easy, though.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

'You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook.' - Harry S. Truman