Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These three pictures make a powerful statement about race and power among women

These three pictures make a powerful statement about race and power among women

It can be difficult to understand how important representation is — until we are faced with a reversed gaze. O, the Oprah Magazine did just that for a photo essay featured in the publication's May 2017 issue on race.*
    In a feature aptly titled "Let's Talk About Race," photographer Chris Buck took three photos that flipped stereotypical tropes on their heads by reversing roles typically held by women of color with white women — and vice versa.*

For the photographer, the baseline intention of the project was to bend race expectations. "When you see an image of someone from a different background, what is your expectation of them?" Buck asked rhetorically over the phone. "When you see an image from someone [of a different race], what is your expectation of them and are we challenging it? Why do we expect a certain thing from someone of a [certain race] and expect them to be serving another [race]?"

https://mic.com/articles/177195/thes...men#.pBWzqT25Q

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel about the first picture.
    The reality is, Asian women come to this Country and open nail salons.
    The reverse image isn't possible in my town.
    There are exactly zero nail salons owned by white women.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    i just thought the first picture was taken in China /shrug.

it seems in most of the futuristic movies China is the economic superpower so it's not like things could change if given enough time
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel about the first picture.
    The reality is, Asian women come to this Country and open nail salons.
    The reverse image isn't possible in my town.
    There are exactly zero nail salons owned by white women.
    I've had my nails done by white and hispanic women, though usually in an Asian owned salon. Also, any nail place I've been to has generally not had an all-white clientele, so the picture falls flat their as well. I am sure those places exist, but does the average nail salon really not have Hispanic, black, or Asian people getting their nails done? I've even seen a few men getting pedis, from time to time.

I guess my nail places have always been more evolved.

Remind me...why again am I guilty for getting my nails done at a nail salon that is owned/run by a Viatnamese couple? Where they hire 100% Viatnamese employeesand I pay the service price that they request and then tip 20% on top?

Is it inherently racist for me to frequent this nail salon? Or is it racist if I don't, because...well, racism.

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    Interesting article on why there are so many Vietnamese women and men in the nail business:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015...-nail-industry

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    The second picture is more accurate of the statement they are trying to make, IMO.

There are no just nail salons that are not run by asians in my area. Same with the Asian restaurants. The clientele would skew more white in my immediate area. But my expectation is not that nail salons are automatically Asian, though.

The doll one interests me from a child's perspective. I do think there is more diversity in toys now than there was when I was a kid.

Where's the 3rd picture

Here's an unrelated article - but I thought it was interesting - about how Asians (in this case) are undervaluing their food - I had no idea that people did this - lowered their food prices to attract a white clientele base but it made me sad for them.

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post

Here's an unrelated article - but I thought it was interesting - about how Asians (in this case) are undervaluing their food - I had no idea that people did this - lowered their food prices to attract a white clientele base but it made me sad for them.
    They undervalued the price of nail services as well which led to an explosion of what used to be called the "non-standard" nail salon. U.S. born and trained nail technicians had a real problem with this as they saw their ability to earn a decent income dry up.

Prior to the nail salon growth spurt, being a nail technician was a decent job. Back in the 80s it cost $25 for a manicure. It was a "rich lady" service. Then came the nail salon explosion and the $5-8 manicure was born. U.S. nail techs still haven't gotten over it.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan