Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman leaves newborn in Walmart parking lot

Woman leaves newborn in Walmart parking lot

ENGLEWOOD, Ohio (WDTN) – Englewood police are investigating after a baby was abandoned at the Hoke Road Walmart.
    Police say a Trotwood woman gave birth to a baby Monday and decided she didn’t want it.
    Investigators say she left the child in the Walmart parking lot and told her friend to call the police, who took the baby to Dayton Children’s Hospital.
    The baby is okay.
    No charges will be filed.

http://wdtn.com/2017/05/16/police-wo...t-parking-lot/

SHOULD charges be filed?

Most states have safe haven laws. If the baby was never really abandoned, maybe it should fall under that.

Yes. Theoretically I have no problem with giving unwanted babies away. Abandoning a baby in a Walmart parking lot is not "giving a baby away". It's child endangerment. I wouldn't be surprised if she was unwell, but dumping your kid in a parking lot is not cool. And why is this in politics?

Absolutely not. She put the baby where it would be safe and alerted authorities. We should not be nit-picking over the letter of the law. She followed the spirit of it.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    Absolutely not. She put the baby where it would be safe and alerted authorities. We should not be nit-picking over the letter of the law. She followed the spirit of it.
    Well, that depends on where exactly in the parking lot she left the baby, doesn't it? Unfortunately, the article doesn't give any further information.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    She wanted somebody to call the police so I think the intent was to make sure the baby was ok. I don't know how bright the birth mother is so in her mind she might think she did the right thing.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I found an updated report on this. It seems as though the woman never left the baby alone (although she did, at first, claim the baby was not hers). I am good with this falling under the safe haven laws.

UPDATE @ 10:36 a.m. (May 17):
    A 911 call was released after a woman reported she and a friend found an infant in a shopping cart at the Englewood Walmart. But it was later determined the newborn belonged to one of the women, who said they no longer wanted the child, police said.
    “I’m at the Walmart in Englewood and my friend, she found a baby in a cart,” the caller told police. “He’s like a newborn.”
    The caller told police they took the baby out of the cart and put it into their car, because of the hot temperatures.
    Police said no charges are expected, because of the Safe Haven Law.
    http://www.whio.com/news/local/911-c...5r57iGb8GtvYM/

Premier Sponsor
    Completely agree with this.

Full Sponsor
    I agree with this.