Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: American Airlines accused of racism for sending black woman

American Airlines accused of racism for sending black woman

American Airlines accused of racism for sending black woman with first class ticket to back of plane

Two women travelling on an American Airlines flight have claimed members of staff were “racist” towards one of them.
    Rane Baldwin, who is African American, was flying with friend Janet Novack, who is white, from Kentucky to Charlotte when the incident occurred on 2 May.
    Baldwin - an AAdvantage Platinum Select/World Elite cardholder - had purchased the two tickets and decided to upgrade them both to first class. However, when they were issued their boarding passes, she was instructed to go to the back of the plane despite her frequent flyer status, while Novack, who holds no status with the airline, was directed to first class. Baldwin was told her seat had been reassigned because there weren’t enough first class seats available.
    The behaviour of American Airlines flight attendants from there added up to “the most blatantly racist thing that’s ever happened to me,” according to Baldwin. “I’ve never felt so unimportant in my entire life,” she told The Root.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/america...085900013.html

What is it with the airline industry? Why are they so incredibly bad at customer service? It's almost like they run seminars at every airline entitled:

"How to be totally putrid at customer service: the way to never win over the hearts and minds of the public."
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

I mean, c'mon you are a customer service agent. You have one job: be nice to people. How do you fuck that up?
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Firstly, I'm not sure I'd even consider what was described as racism. And secondly, I feel like there's more to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Firstly, I'm not sure I'd even consider what was described as racism. And secondly, I feel like there's more to this story.

I have had sexist things happen to me, but that doesn't make every bad thing sexist.

People sure are being quick to run to the media with the airline sob story of the day. There was one here this week about a guy in his 20s who showed up to the airport a half hour later than the tickets asked them to, and then there was a problem with his id, so he and his girlfriend ended up on different flights home. He was "traumatized".

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    The media will report anything if it's the current trend on social media. One would think based on headlines that all of the cops who would shoot unarmed black people got jobs with the airline industry.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    This.

And if there was racism at play here, it doesn't mean American Airlines is. It means that the shitty gate attendant was. But there is more to this story...I'm fairly confident.

I flew United Sunday and was somewhat disappointed I didn't get beat up. I could have retired!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am surprised at how easily people are willing to accept "there is more is to this story" even in the absence of a claim by the accused that "there is more to this story."

And let's go with the hypothetical that race played no role in downgrading this woman's seat. Why on earth was this woman selected for a downgrading in her ticket? Why are airlines downgrading accommodations that were lawfully purchased? And why was the person who actually paid for the tickets downgraded, but her guest got the first class seat? No answer to these questions are in the record. Yet, many are willing to assume that there is something more to this than what we've been told that somehow justifies all that happened. There must be, right? Why? What reason do we have other than sheer denialism? Is it unheard of that airlines treat their customers like crap for no apparent reason?

The "there must be more to this story" crowd don't even give a hypothetical explanation for what this "more to the story" is.

More to this story:

Baldwin said she tried to complain to a member of cabin crew about her seat reassignment but was completely ignored. Meanwhile, Novack was asking the same questions and raising the same concerns, but receiving a completely different response.“As [Baldwin] asked questions, she was ignored,” Novack wrote on Twitter. “However, whenever I asked the same questions, I received thorough answers.
    “The whole reason that I was flying first class was because I was associated with her and her reservation. They were ignoring the card holder.”
    So, this totally not racist situation was never explained to the African-American card holder, but was thoroughly explained to the white flying companion to the card holder. Nope, that can't possibly be racist. Nothing to see here.