Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: American Airlines accused of racism for sending black woman

Quote Originally Posted by RN_mom View Post
    I'm in the "I'd like to here the whole story" crowd. I think there is more.

For example, I had a patient accuse me of racism. Why? Because I had patients on either side of her that were both critical. One with severe sepsis and the other having a possible stroke. She was not my patient. She kept asking me to come to her room, but she would do it like as I was walking into another person's room. I was attempting to take care of extremely time sensitive things. I did call for her nurse several times and let her know I was calling someone to assist her. (She didn't, btw, have anything terribly important that she needed). When her nurse finally showed up she told her that the other nurse (me) was racist and refused to help her.

Now, to her it may have appeared so. Or she could just be one of those people who throws that up whenever they don't get their way. I don't know. But either way her perception was not what was going on on my side of the story. So, I'm sure she went home and told people all about the racist nurse in the ER. Meanwhile, I was just trying to save the lives of my two critical patients and did my best to summon help. It's all about perception.
    Excellent example. A lot of people perceive things as some sort of "ism" when it may have nothing to do with it. I'll attempt to preempt some replies by saying very clearly that there are also many cases where the "ism" is happening.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

'You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook.' - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
    Even if it wasn't racism, it was stupid. She had a legitimate first class ticket and couldn't use it? Why would you do that to someone with Elite status yet keep the person who was only in first class because of the person you're kicking out? No matter what color anyone was, it doesn't make sense.
    This is why we need to hear what the airline says. They have rules for everything.

I'll give an example from the days when I had airline benefits...
    A guy that I worked with was taking his wife to Paris because his sister was living there and invited my girlfriend and I to join them. We were able to sit in business class seats on international flights if they were available but not first class. When we checked in for the international leg, there were 3 seats available in business class - and 4 of us. Well, my girlfriend had 6 more months of seniority on my friend and I so she got one of them, obviously. However, my friend and I started on the exact same date. Because he was traveling with his spouse, they got the 2 remaining seats. Had there been just one remaining seat I would have gotten it instead. So they got to enjoy business class while I was stuck in the middle seat of a 2-5-2 configuration in the last row in front of the smoking section (this was probably around 1991 and they still allowed smoking on international flights) with a bunch of chain-smoking Frenchmen behind me.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by RN_mom View Post
    I'm in the "I'd like to here the whole story" crowd. I think there is more.

For example, I had a patient accuse me of racism. Why? Because I had patients on either side of her that were both critical. One with severe sepsis and the other having a possible stroke. She was not my patient. She kept asking me to come to her room, but she would do it like as I was walking into another person's room. I was attempting to take care of extremely time sensitive things. I did call for her nurse several times and let her know I was calling someone to assist her. (She didn't, btw, have anything terribly important that she needed). When her nurse finally showed up she told her that the other nurse (me) was racist and refused to help her.

Now, to her it may have appeared so. Or she could just be one of those people who throws that up whenever they don't get their way. I don't know. But either way her perception was not what was going on on my side of the story. So, I'm sure she went home and told people all about the racist nurse in the ER. Meanwhile, I was just trying to save the lives of my two critical patients and did my best to summon help. It's all about perception.
    Yes, there are bogus complaints of racism. But your situation here is not analogous at all to the situation in this thread. This wasn't a matter of having to prioritize much more critically ill patients. This was a choice, not forced upon the airline, to downgrade a payimg customer's 1st Class ticket in favor of her non-paying travel companion. Why would any airline make THAT decision? Why wasn't priority given to the paying customer whose card the pair was traveling on? If anyone can give me a race-neutral reason for that decision, I would love to hear it. There is plenty of speculation in this thread of "more to the story," but there is not even speculation of what that more could be.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Off topic: I just watched the Seinfeld episode last night where Elaine was miserable and stuck in Coach while Jerry was enjoying First Class.
    They had cookies in first class! And it was funny to see the sizes of the bags that were allowed as carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Off topic: I just watched the Seinfeld episode last night where Elaine was miserable and stuck in Coach while Jerry was enjoying First Class.
    They had cookies in first class! And it was funny to see the sizes of the bags that were allowed as carry on.
    Get out!

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Get out!

I also watched the one where Kramer took Elaine's pic for her Christmas card and she had a nip slip, so everyone in her office was calling her Nip

And when George was sad that he didn't get a card, she said " You want your Christmas card?!" and grabbed his face and plunged it into her chest and said " There's your Christmas card!"

Hilarious! Even 20+ years later

But yeah.... about that racism

Re-reading the story in the OP, the white woman commented about "microagressions". That makes me think that these two women are hypersensitive and may perceive many actions as racist that simply aren't. Maybe this was a case of blatant racism, but I'm leaning strongly towards the "more to the story" camp. Also, they were offended that Baldwin wasn't allowed to loiter around first class to see if a seat became available - uh, yeah, that would be the case for anyone regardless of race. And the "back of the plane" isn't the same as "back of the bus" - it just happens to be where the coach cabin is located.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Oh good. Then you're just here to pontificate like you're the most intelligent person in the thread. As per usual.
    You know it took me a minute, but I realize that you are accusing someone who makes repeated references in self-deprecating commentary about my dyslexia of carrying on like the most intelligent person in the room. This could only mean one thing: you have an intellectual inferiority complex that you are trying to hang around my neck. Sweetie, that millstone was custom fit for your neck. But, for what it's worth, I don't think you're stupid. I think you're a dick.

Carry on.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nam View Post
    Yes, there are bogus complaints of racism. But your situation here is not analogous at all to the situation in this thread. This wasn't a matter of having to prioritize much more critically ill patients. This was a choice, not forced upon the airline, to downgrade a payimg customer's 1st Class ticket in favor of her non-paying travel companion. Why would any airline make THAT decision? Why wasn't priority given to the paying customer whose card the pair was traveling on? If anyone can give me a race-neutral reason for that decision, I would love to hear it. There is plenty of speculation in this thread of "more to the story," but there is not even speculation of what that more could be.
    I haven't the first clue, because I don't work for an airline. I have no idea why they do a vast majority of what they do. I just know that as someone who doesn't know the way it works, because I recognize that I don't know, I'd like to hear the other side before I scream racism. On the surface it at least seems like shitty customer service. I will most definitely agree with that. I just don't have enough info to cry racism. Could it be? Absolutely. But there's a lot of info missing.