Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: American Airlines accused of racism for sending black woman

More of more of the story:

As the plane was half empty, Baldwin says she ignored her seat allocation and went to sit at the front of the main cabin where there were many empty seats. Novack then gave up her first class spot to sit with her friend, but again the pair were troubled by the behaviour of AA’s flight attendants.

“When the second flight attendant came through for a cabin check, he saw us (already buckled in, arm rest in between us up) and told my friend that there was plenty of extra space and that we could ‘spread out’ if she wanted to. He did not say this to anyone else,” said Baldwin.

Novack added: “I was informed that I could move, and we didn't HAVE to sit together. Apparently, everyone else could be squished, not us.

“The microaggressions that [AA’s] workers projected are prejudiced, ignorant. They literally didn't believe I was flying with a black woman.”

Nope. Could not possibly be motivated by race. I am sure there is more to the story.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

I read the article, nam. You reposting it here in the thread doesn't magically change my opinion. No one has said it definitely wasn't racism, or couldn't possibly be motivated by race. We are only hearing one side of the story and there possibly could be more to this story. I actually witnessed (in real life!) someone accuse waitstaff of racism because of how they interacted with my husband and I versus them. It had nothing to do with racism. It was just the black person's perception which I'm sure was because of systemic racism that they've dealt with over the course of their life. That doesn't make everything that *feels* like racism actually racism. As everyone else in this thread actually said.

Oh, PK, I would not, magically or otherwise, attempt to change your opinion. I would rather try to convince a pound of lead to become an ounce of gold.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Oh good. Then you're just here to pontificate like you're the most intelligent person in the thread. As per usual.

You really don't like it when it is not about you.

And I pontificate no more than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by nam View Post
    You really don't like it when it is not about you.

And I pontificate no more than you do.

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black!

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar
    I'm in the "I'd like to here the whole story" crowd. I think there is more.

For example, I had a patient accuse me of racism. Why? Because I had patients on either side of her that were both critical. One with severe sepsis and the other having a possible stroke. She was not my patient. She kept asking me to come to her room, but she would do it like as I was walking into another person's room. I was attempting to take care of extremely time sensitive things. I did call for her nurse several times and let her know I was calling someone to assist her. (She didn't, btw, have anything terribly important that she needed). When her nurse finally showed up she told her that the other nurse (me) was racist and refused to help her.

Now, to her it may have appeared so. Or she could just be one of those people who throws that up whenever they don't get their way. I don't know. But either way her perception was not what was going on on my side of the story. So, I'm sure she went home and told people all about the racist nurse in the ER. Meanwhile, I was just trying to save the lives of my two critical patients and did my best to summon help. It's all about perception.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Years ago when my wife and I were working retail a customer accused my wife of racism when my wife would not give her a discount on a display item but gave the discount to a white person. My wife tried explaining that some display items like power tools we couldn't discount where as other items like wheel barrows we could.

The lady would not listen, demanded to see a manager who told her the same thing but she still demanded the discount. The manager told her sorry and asked her to leave. This was before Facebook so who knows.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Even if it wasn't racism, it was stupid. She had a legitimate first class ticket and couldn't use it? Why would you do that to someone with Elite status yet keep the person who was only in first class because of the person you're kicking out? No matter what color anyone was, it doesn't make sense.
    "It's an election year, I don't need facts." -- TTT

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
    Even if it wasn't racism, it was stupid. She had a legitimate first class ticket and couldn't use it? Why would you do that to someone with Elite status yet keep the person who was only in first class because of the person you're kicking out? No matter what color anyone was, it doesn't make sense.
    Yeah. It was stupid and terrible customer service. For sure.