Thread: Email Condolences?

Email Condolences?

Are email condolences appropriate? My coworker's father died on Friday and he emailed me the service details yesterday. When I got home I sent him a condolence card to his house and made a donation in his father's name to the charity requested in the obit. Should I also send email condolences? The funeral will be tomorrow and he likely won't have received my card yet - but email condolences just seem kind of wrong in this situation?

What say you?

I would respond to the email so he knows that you received the details. Then throw in a "been thinking about you" type statement. When my father died I appreciated all correspondence. I was more likely to respond to a text/email than I was an actual phone call.

With that being said, if you don't feel comfortable replying to the email, then don't. You sent a card/donation and that is fine.

When I'm going to interact with someone before they will receive the card at home, I always acknowledge the loss. Whether it is on the phone or over email. I might say something like, "formal condolences are in the mail, but I wanted to let you know that I was so sorry to hear about your loss" before I move on to whatever topic we are discussing.

Does the funeral home have a site to post condolances? I might do that, too.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...