Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your neighborhood tight-knit?

Is your neighborhood tight-knit?

I've never lived in a place where the neighbors were especially close, and even if I had, I would probably have been that neighbor everyone talked about because she never played along. Waiving to someone standing outside as I pulled in to my garage was about as much interaction as I wanted. I don't really like people. I find them exhausting.

Here, everyone mostly knows everyone, and we basically live in Mayberry. My unit is one of four attached townhouses in a row, and there's an identical row on the other side of the dead end street, so we are essentially a little cul de sac. We do periodic potlucks, often if you go outside there is some neighbor chatting with another, the kids roam in a joyful pack, the sidewalks and streets are filled with chalk drawings, etc. Before we had even moved in, we were invited to a potluck while we were still living in the hotel, once we were assigned this unit. There's even a cul de sac message group on Facebook, and there are cul de sac shirts ordered last year (I skipped that particular thing.) There's a Navy-related saying on the front, and the back says #AllInTheSameSac.

I don't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would. It's nice to have someone from whom to borrow an egg or a garden tool.

What about you? Do you live in a friendly neighborhood? Do you like it? Are there block parties or other intentional bonding activities?

No, thank goodness! And I even moved BACK, to the neighborhood I grew up in! I pretty much have a "how's the weather treated ya? Nice new car, or lawn mower! and then go on my way relationship with my neighbors, and I am good with that.

Nope. Too many busy professionals. I'm now the crazy lady who is always working on her yard and pruning her roses.

I grew up in a neighborhood like that, and my mom was always extremely outgoing, so I think she always knew her neighbors wherever she lived. Me, not so much!

Before this house we always lived in fairly transient areas, in apartments, not houses.

When we moved here, most of our close neighbors were older, and we had little kids. Now we're old, and a lot of the neighbors have been replaced by young families, which is nice.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

I live in a small English village - everyone knows everyone else.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Growing up I did, but in my current hood my neighbors are not necessarily people I would choose to hang out with or get to know beyond a wave when I see them. My sister lives in an awesome neighborhood where they have parties and such and while I am jealous of that sometimes, I wouldn't like to feel like I always had to be social when I was home, if that makes sense.

I like having a waving, saying "Hi, nice weather!" as we walk past sort of relationship. In our old neighbourhood we also became doggy-playdate sort of neighbours, and that was okay, too. Nothing more.

I grew up in military family housing, where there were huge packs of children roaming around, lots of neighbourhood parties and the like. Most people didn't have nearby extended family, so I think it was a human need to connect. I'm FB friends with my best friend from those days, and she has mentioned lots of families that I have zero memories of - as a kid I tended to hide from that sort of thing.

Is your neighborhood tight-knit?

Extremely so when we first moved here, but there were fallings-out (none of which we were involved in) and now there are little groupings. I know most of my neighbors well enough to know their kids and their jobs and sports affiliations. There used to be Monday night football that we took turns hosting.

We keep an eye on each other's houses, which came in handy last summer when one of them had a daytime theft, we scared the guy off (and got a picture of his vehicle and plate) before he cleaned them out. Addiction thing. He was in jail for a good nine months, because he was doing it all over. I know tradespeople have been questioned by my neighbors on our property before, but they were all legit. It's nice knowing we look out for each other.

I know a couple neighbors pretty well. Others, not so much other than "hi".

It's a mix, I guess. I am not super friendly to the neighbors because I do not want them invading. There would be nothing worse to me than people coming by randomly.

DH is a lot friendlier than I am. He is also the world's biggest boy scout, so he checks on all elderly neighbors. The elderly woman next door gives our kids Christmas presents. The house on the other side is vacant and has been for over 12 years. The elderly woman who lived there drove me nuts. She was obsessed with baby Matthew.

Down from her, we have a couple who I find weird, but intriguing.

Across the street, it's always college kids. We do have a neighborhood FB page. We also have a lot of neighborhood busybodies. Sometimes they do come in handy.