Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your neighborhood tight-knit?

After I posted this, DH called me so we could chat (hands-free!) while he drove him. I had to pee so when he was almost home, we hung up. I got out of the bathroom, and he still wasn't home yet, which was odd. A few mintues later, I got a text, "Come out and be social". I was literally not wearing pants, so I had to find something to throw on. Most of the neighbors were standing outside talking. DH had a beer in his hand (handed to him by a neighbor) and had literally not even made it in the front door. Still in his flightsuit.

I wasn't in the mood, but it felt kind of rude to say hi and then go back inside, so we chatted outside for about 20 minutes. During that time, DH got a text saying his department heads were in the nearby (like, 50 meters away) park, with a fire pit, so DH felt obligated to go make an appearance there. That was another 20 minutes. We hadn't eaten dinner yet and it was 8pm, and I was getting hangry.

Sometimes, Mayberry is nice, but other times, it's annoying (and hungry!).

Not really. We've been here 18 years so we know some neighbors. We are friendly with the ones right next door, but it's sometimes contentious. They sometimes do things that piss us off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We're close-ish with our next door neighbors. We've vacationed with them and will get together for dinner and cards now and then. Dh and the husband could chat for hours. Me and the wife aren't as close. We get along but we're too different.

We know the names of some of the other neighbors and will wave, but that's really about it. I'm fine with that.

We used to be but now most of them have moved away. It was nice when kids were younger because everyone would hang out in someone's driveway having a few drinks while the kids ran around and played. We had impromptu BBQ's, where one neighbor would go "I have stuff to make a salad" and another "I have some corn on the cob I can cook", etc.

I'm still close with 2 neighbors who have moved out of state, one to DC and one to AZ. The DC friend and I just recently flew to AZ to visit the 3rd former neighbor for a girls weekend and to check out her new house.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    We're close-ish with our next door neighbors. We've vacationed with them and will get together for dinner and cards now and then. Dh and the husband could chat for hours. Me and the wife aren't as close. We get along but we're too different.

We know the names of some of the other neighbors and will wave, but that's really about it. I'm fine with that.
    As long as you stay friendly with Champ's parents, we're good!

They came over for a visit last night.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Champ!!!

For the record, I'll need Champ pictures regularly to help my recovery along!

I'll see what I can do!

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar
    No, we know some of them but it's only slightly more than a wave hello. Well, excepting the fact that one of my next door neighbors is my kid, who hasn't spoken in over a month.

The people across the street, the wife works at my hospital and used to work in my dept. The guy two doors down from here is a security guard at my hospital. So I know them a little more, but we don't hang out socially.

Our back door neighbor I worked with at my previous hospital, on the same unit, but again, we aren't social. They throw a party a couple times a year but they have always been on nights I work so we haven't gone.

We have talked to our next door neighbors but don't know them well. He was deployed for a while and we had no idea. We kept wondering if he was deployed or if they had split up. Then he came back one day, and started doing lots of yard work and building a fence. Turns out the deployment was correct.

Most of the families have younger children, elementary school and down. So we wave and we know some of them, but my boys are older. Especially now that the age difference is noticeable and so they don't hang out at all. I would imagine those folks are all closer.

Melts in Your Mouth -- srsly! M&M's Avatar
    We have lived in our neighborhood for 30 years. And most my neighbors were there when we moved in and very well may be there long after we are gone. So although we don't have block parties or get-togethers (thank goodness!) I do know my immediate neighbors by sight and by name, and we wave to each other as we come and go. Maybe once or twice a year we will stop and visit for 10 or 15 minutes, but that's it. And I am ok with that.

Jessie lives directly across the street from us. She is a 92 year old widow who lives alone. She is very active (still drives and works part-time, and works out in her yard/garden). She is very sweet and we sort of look after her due to her age, but mostly from a distance.
    Ursula lives across the street diagonally from us. She is in her early 60s and is a teacher at my daughter's high school. She lives alone since her elderly mother passed away about a year ago. She is obsessed with gardening and is often out in her yard. She is also the neighborhood busybody/gossip, so if you want to know the scoop on what is happening in the neighborhood, just stop and chat with Ursula.
    Our next door neighbors are Bryan and Cindy. I knew them before I moved to the neighborhood, in fact Cindy and I were very close friends for many years until a falling out ended our friendship about 10 years ago. We wave in passing but rarely interact other than waving.
    And Dixie lives at the end of the block on the corner. She walks every morning so we always wave to each other as I drive past on my way to take DD to the school bus stop.

Jumpin' Jack Flash-----------------------------------------------George Michael McKitty