Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your neighborhood tight-knit?

Yes it is and I like that. We have had a few of the closer neighbors move in the last few years (no, we didn't chase them away). We are still close to all of the ones that moved. They either needed a bigger house or got divorced. We all watch out for each other. There are quite a few older residents, and they have kind of adopted the neighborhood kids. They watch out for them and help them when needed.

I love summers in my neighborhood. There are always people outside. Running between houses at BBQ's, things like that. But no one drops by unannounced and expects to stay.

I guess we are. I mean the whole town is tight to a degree. Our whole neighborhood is going through a transformation. When we moved into this house all of our neighbors had been here for a long long time. We are now the neighborhood pillars. lol Actually the neighbor behind me has been here the longest. I used to babysit for her when I was a kid. The neighbor across from me just passed away a couple of weeks ago. Her next door neighbor (kitty corner to me) died last winter. Both of those houses are empty. The neighbor to my right is never home as he is a Subway (restaurant) inspector and travels constantly. The neighbors to the left moved in about a year ago and have a little 1.5 year old. The neighbor to their left is actually people that I grew up with as my neighbors. I could pretty much list everyone up and down the street and the street over and the street after that.....etc..

When you have lived in the same small town for 45 years, you tend to know people.

AS a kid we had that in a few neighborhoods we lived in (ca. and il). As an adult, I have never had it. Currently we live in a nice little subdivision. I know my immediate neighbors in a wave hello type of way and that's it. I think I'm ok with it.

Not now, but when I was a kid the neighbors all knew each other and were friendly and got along and looked after each other's kids, that sort of thing. But this was back in the day when us kids left the house on a Saturday morning and the adults only had a general idea of where we were for hours at a time. We went home when it was supper or it got dark because being outside was the default thing to do. Also, our roaming territory was pretty wide, so it was natural to know people beyond the block or the street.

It was similar growing up as a teenager out in the sticks. Your closest neighbor might be a 1/4 mile away, but you know them in a way that you might not in town. You might not know someone 5 miles up the road, but you probably know of them.

Now I'm on a cul-de-sac and know one neighbor well enough to stand outside and bullshit, or for DH to swap tools with. Everyone else I acknowledge, one I actively avoid (think Gladys Kravitz at 82).
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    Just waving as we drive bye, or a quick "How's it going?" thing here. I get along fine with my neighbors but see no need to socialize.

Where I grew up was more tight knit. We would have the neighbors over often in the summer for bbqs. It was nice, but not something I miss or long for.

My Happily Ever After. <3 lilone's Avatar
    Nope!
    ~Vicki~

Moving right along....

Yes, we are friends with our neighbors to the left of us and across the street.
    We bbq together and look out for each other.
    Even go to their kids weddings.

Yes, ours is a pretty tight-knit street. It's a small town too. My former next-door-neighbour was really great - we'd help each other out. She knew where the dogs medication was and if we were delayed, she had a key, would go over and give Zoe her pill and feed the cat.

One thing we both did - if either one saw the Jehovah's Witness' coming up the street they'd phone the other and just say "JW ALERT" and hang up. Saves answering the door LOL.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

Not at all, we are friendly with the lady who lives around the corner and shares a backyard with us but that's mostly because her Pug is friends with my dog and they try to touch paws through the fence. We've walked the dogs together if we run into each other but we don't make plans or socialize beyond that.

The people on either side of us are very French and we are very English, we are *smile and nod friendly* with the couple on the left but they are major boozers (think driving to the corner store 3 times for 24's of beer on Saturday for the 2 of them) so I don't want to appear friendly to them and the people on the right/corner of our street rarely come out and we literally go months without seeing them.

ETA: I like it this way, we got burned badly a few years ago when we became friends with our neighbors and then they started showing up at our door at all hours of the day and night when they were quarreling, they took turns ranting to us about how crazy the other person was

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Not at all, we are friendly with the lady who lives around the corner and shares a backyard with us but that's mostly because her Pug is friends with my dog and they try to touch paws through the fence. We've walked the dogs together if we run into each other but we don't make plans or socialize beyond that.

The people on either side of us are very French and we are very English, we are *smile and nod friendly* with the couple on the left but they are major boozers (think driving to the corner store 3 times for 24's of beer on Saturday for the 2 of them) so I don't want to appear friendly to them and the people on the right/corner of our street rarely come out and we literally go months without seeing them.

ETA: I like it this way, we got burned badly a few years ago when we became friends with our neighbors and then they started showing up at our door at all hours of the day and night when they were quarreling, they took turns ranting to us about how crazy the other person was
    See, that is my nightmare and it WOULD happen to me. I know it would. I am the person in the supermarket who people tell their entire life story to. I am the person in Costco who some random chick asks to check her tights (that she is wearing) and tell her what size they are. I don't know what the hell I did in a previous life to deserve it, but I think I am doing penance for something.

When the obsessed lady was still alive, I literally could not leave my house or come home without her appearing to try to guilt me into letting her come in and stare creepily at my baby.

So I wave and avoid getting any closer.