Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Longest you've been away from your spouse?

The longest I have been apart from Lee was six months while Lee was going through rehab back in 2006. Other than that, we were also apart for three months while Lee stayed on an agency job working at Gallup Indian Medical Center while I returned to New Orleans at the start of the fall semester in 1996. After that? Nothing more than a day or two.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Melts in Your Mouth -- srsly! M&M's Avatar
    I'd say the longest was probably about a week, maybe a little more.

George Michael McKitty

6 months for deployments. He deployed 3 separate times. It was just a a part of our life.
    During the 2 years following 9/11, he was either in Saudi Arabia or Ft. Worth (4 hours away). It worked out to about a year total in each place. He would come home on weekends when he was in Ft. Worth, would get home late on Friday evenings, and leave Sunday afternoons. Our third child was born during those 2 years.
    He was a reservist, so he was gone at least one weekend a month, but usually it ended up being at least a 4 day weekend. He was also gone during the summer for at least a couple of weeks. When he got back from deployment number 2, he was sent to another shift at work, and worked from 2-10 p.m. So, we rarely got to spend time with him.
    About 2 years ago, he started working mornings, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. A little over a year ago, he retired from the reserves. I was scared at first, lol. He was going to be home all.the.time. Sleeping in the same bed every.single.night. We just weren't used to that. But, it has been wonderful. He gets to spend a lot more time with our third child than he did with our other children, and that is a blessing, especially when I went back to school and started teaching.

I think spouses who can handle military deployments well just have a particular kind of personality that allows for it. That same personality tends to panic a little at too much togetherness with no break in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    I think spouses who can handle military deployments well just have a particular kind of personality that allows for it. That same personality tends to panic a little at too much togetherness with no break in sight.
    Yeah.

That sums it up.
    I didn't love the deployments, but they were a part of our life. The first few days were the worst, not sure where he actually was, etc. Then once he landed and I got the first email/call, we were able to start getting the count down, no matter how long it was going to be.

The longest has been a month when we had been together for about a year, we were moving back to NB from another province and he came back to set up while I stayed there for a month to finish my job. I didn't mind it as much as he did

Years ago he worked in the snow removal business driving a loader and there were times we didn't see each other for about a week or so, he came home to sleep during the day when I was at work and was often gone by the time I got home. I didn't enjoy that because he was working crazy hours and working in dangerous weather conditions so I worried about him but I got used to sleeping alone a lot faster than I expected to.

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    3 or 4 days. Once when he had to travel for training and our DD was an infant, and then there have been a couple of times that he's gone down to see his family for a couple of days.

It used to bother me, but now I have dogs to snuggle with. I joke about having separate bedrooms, he doesn't find it funny.