Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longest you've been away from your spouse?

Longest you've been away from your spouse?

DH is going to spend a couple weeks on a boat. This is somewhat unexpected as his current job is basically non-deploying, so it kind of threw me for a loop. He got tasked with a special little project. Anyway, I mentioned to a non-Navy friend that it's only 2-3 weeks, most likely, so it's hardly a big deal, and thus I'm sort of surprised with and annoyed by myself for even feeling much of anything about it, and she pointed out that the longest she's been apart from her husband since they married was 4 days.

What about you? What the longest you've been apart? What was the reason, and how did you do with the separation?

DH did a 9 month deployment, though I met him in a port halfway through for 5 days. That's been our longest separation.

(Trying to start threads!!)

My husband is an over the road driver. He has been a driver for 30 years so this is how we have always done things. He is usually out between being home a few days anywhere from a week to 3 week span. He was just home for two whole weeks, because of a delivery of supplies in Alaska, that he does not have to bring back for 3 weeks. He was getting paid to wait, so he flew home, to be home rather than stay the whole time in Alaska, which was awesome. ( I toyed with flying out to meet him there instead, but I have already done that a few times this year, and we are planning a big vacation next fall, so I am banking my work time as well! I will wait for an Alaskan cruise instead!)

We don't really like to be apart longer than a 3 week span, but the past few years we get stupid money for a UPS contract that starts before Thanksgiving, up until Christmas Eve, so even though we hate it we do it!

Anytime in our marriage my husband worked local, nd was home everyday, I kind of hated it. I think I saw LESS of him, as we were caught up in the bustle of daily work and chores!

About 3 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you bring the monkey, I'm leaving puppylove's Avatar
    On my 33 acres in Virginia! (Thank you Sars for the reminder) ;)
    Dh is currently on a 14 on/14 off schedule. I think he's been doing it for about 1.5 years now. Before that, he was in worldwide and was gone for as long as 7 weeks once. Typical was 10-14 days. For our entire marriage, one or both of us have traveled for work My longest tims gone was 2 weeks.
    -Donna- People first. Dogs second. Things last.

http://countdowntoasimplerlife.blogspot.com

Since we've been married, less than a week, for business trips.

While we were engaged there was a ten-week period with him in Florida and me in Vancouver.

We were apart for one year in the early '90s when he was stationed in Korea. The second longest we've been apart was around 9 months when he was deployed for Desert Storm. The longest separation recently was four months in 2012 when he had officer readiness schooling in Virginia.

Not counting longer times when we saw each other "in between?"

Eleven months?

Until the last few years, never more than a few days at a time. Then I started spending more time at my mom's house in the summer, as the kids were all grown up and my mom became increasingly less so.

Three summers ago, the year we moved my mom to Texas, I was there for 6 weeks. Everybody on Facebook that dh would die, because he posted daily sad pictures.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

One week with DH for work stuff. This summer he is giving a talk in Switzerland and will leave about 10 days before I join him.

My ex that is an af pilot was gone for months at a time when deployed to Afghanistan. I think he did 8 week deployments or maybe it was 12 weeks... there was a limit for the pilots....

About 4 weeks when DH had to go away for officer school. He does have to go out of town regularly for work and training, but that's usually a week at most.