Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longest you've been away from your spouse?

5 - 6 weeks when he got stuck in the US renewing his UK visa. Also around that same amount of time right after we got married - we were coming back to the US after 19 months abroad, and we each went to visit our families separately and then he went ahead of me to Denver to find a place for us to live.

Married for 24 years, a couple of times for a week and half or so at a time. When I went to Hawaii with my family, and when I've traveled for business/school reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andee View Post
    A week? 2 weeks? Wait he had to go to Reno for a training, but I can't remember how long it was. I love it when dh is gone. I mean I miss him but things are so much simpler. lol Want some cereal for supper? Want to sleep sideways in the bed? Want to read 20 hours straight while staying in your pajamas? Want to drive an hour to just get a Starbucks? Want to stay up till the weeee hours of the morning and then sleep till noon? I mean I can do all those things when he is here but I don't feel as guilty. LOL
    See, I liked it when he would go out of town BEFORE kids because I could do all of that. I HATED when he went out of town after kids because that meant no one was coming home at 5:30 to help me. Now they are old enough that it's not a big deal.

I think 2 weeks is the max. There have been several occasions of week-long training sessions that DH had for work. I had a 2 week class out of state when I was pregnant with older DS. When we lived in Oregon, there were a couple of times I visited my parents here in Idaho. I can't remember them all, but I usually do pretty well when we're apart. I admit to an occasional nervous night now & then when he is gone, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 months.

The last year he worked falling (2012) we saw each other every 3 months. The year before that it was every 2 months. Shittiest two years going, hands down. He would come home and not only would we have a huge disconnect but he wasn't on DD's wavelength at all. He'd just barely get reacquainted with where she was at and then then leave again. That was the silver lining in him almost dying, all in all seriousness.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Premier Sponsor
    A month when dd#1 was 6-10 weeks old and he had to take a one month intensive to finish bis grad degree.

When the kids were 0,2,4, and 6 he worked in Chicago for a couple of weeks and when they were 1,3,5, and 7 he studied in Chicago for the summer but was home most weekends. That was a crazy summer because the baby got chicken pox from his vaccination and passed it on to his vaxed-but-not-immune sister so I was confined to the house for two straight weeks with four young kids and an ailing mil.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    15 months back during our second year of marriage. 12 months in Iraq and 3 months at an Army base for deployment training in another state.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Since we've been married? About 4 or 5 days - since I started working dh and ds have taken some time in the last week before school starts to go away together. I think the first time was 3 days but the last few times have been 4 or 5. And that's once a year. I look forward to my bachelor time

Premier Sponsor
    Three months when he was in Scotland for work. That was difficult, but I now travel regularly for work and I do enjoy my room service and big bed and being able to watch TV without commentary and questions.

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar
    Two weeks is the longest. It was a long two weeks. I have no idea how military spouses do it. I'm pretty independent, but I also need my partner around or I get lonely. And pouty. And I'm not pleasant to be around when I'm like that.