Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longest you've been away from your spouse?

When dh and I were just first living together, he was a commercial fisherman on a salmon troller. He left for a 4 month season, but was injured and came home early. I think he was gone 6 weeks or so. The fishery was slowing down big time then, so he never went back.

Other than that, I went away for a week twice visiting relatives. The longest dh was gone was a week for a fishing trip.

The first year we were dating we saw each other for a total of 12 days. We thought it was easier to count how many days we spent together than how many days we spent apart. He was on a submarine the Navy while we dated, so there were various lengths of time he would be gone. I think, other than that 6 month-er during the first year, the longest he did was 3 months. That was all dating, though.

After we married, at one point DH worked as a traveling technician for a wind turbine company. He would be gone for 6-8 weeks and home for 3 days to 1 week, typically. He did that for about a year. It sucked as I was a SAHM with a <2 year old for company.

I never judge other people's tolerance for time away from their spouse by our experience. I know it isn't the norm! And, just because we've done all that time apart from each other before doesn't mean I'd be happy to do it again.

6 month deployment, no visits. It sucked in so many ways but the girls and I still had fun. He's the disciplinarian.

Two weeks when she visited family and I couldn't take the time off; I stayed 10 days.

A week(ish) when I have traveled for work.

We have been married for 21 years and I think the longest we have been apart is 5 days. It's when he has to travel for work. It happens once or twice a year.

A week? 2 weeks? Wait he had to go to Reno for a training, but I can't remember how long it was. I love it when dh is gone. I mean I miss him but things are so much simpler. lol Want some cereal for supper? Want to sleep sideways in the bed? Want to read 20 hours straight while staying in your pajamas? Want to drive an hour to just get a Starbucks? Want to stay up till the weeee hours of the morning and then sleep till noon? I mean I can do all those things when he is here but I don't feel as guilty. LOL

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    A week and a half, two weeks at a time, when he was driving a truck.

Then those jobs ended and he's underfoot ALL.THE.TIME.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    4 days. About once a year I have to go on a work trip. He hates it, triggers his anxiety. I get to stay in a nice hotel and party with work friends I never see.

9 months when I moved to Texas and he was still in CT to sell our house. It was hard, but I think it probably saved our marriage.