Thread: Dropping cable

Premier Sponsor

Dropping cable

I just called my service provider and it looks like I can save about $62 by dropping it. The sales rep said if I got a roku I could download the app & get my local Chanel's. If I have a smart TV do I need that? Also would I still need an antenna? Any other thoughts to consider? TIA
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    I don't know much about the Roku (I'm not sure it's available in Canada), but you might want to get a rooftop antenna anyway, because you'll be able to get more channels. We have an antenna and can get probably three dozen channels (not all of which we watch, though!). Our channels come from Toronto, southern Ontario, and Buffalo. If you're in a more rural area, you probably won't get as many channels.

If you go to the site tvfool.com, you can input your zip code, and address or GPS coordinates if you want to narrow the search, and it will give you a diagram of the channels that you may get on an antenna.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Well, "a thought to consider" is the fact that, unlike analog TV signals that are viewable even when 15 or 20 percent degraded, digital TV signals have far less tolerance and will be unviewable unless the signal is very strong. People in the Chicago area who got digital antennas when the changeover took effect discovered that the number of stations they could actually view was markedly less than the number of stations that they were told they could view.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

I have a Roku. I don't watch local news, I don't watch sports, and I don't care about watching anything as it airs, so the Roku works well for me. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Seeso, Starz (while American Gods is on) and a bunch of other free channels. It costs around $30 a month, which is a lot less than what we were paying for cable.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    We got an antenna installed, not really saving much without cable TV because internet keeps going up in price. We use our antenna connected to the TiVo in the living room for network television. Big reason I don't want cable TV is their DVR sucks and I had a hell of a time getting their cable card working with our Tivo.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    I have a Roku. I don't watch local news, I don't watch sports, and I don't care about watching anything as it airs, so the Roku works well for me. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Seeso, Starz (while American Gods is on) and a bunch of other free channels. It costs around $30 a month, which is a lot less than what we were paying for cable.

What can you watch on Seeso? We have a Roku and have Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and HBO. We really don't watch much of the other channels that are free basically because we are too lazy to check them out.

We also have basic cable because dh isn't ready to drop it. (also a home phone that very few people even call us on anymore)

Seeso is a comedy channel - lots of stand up, but some good shows, there's one called Flowers which is lovely.

Premier Sponsor
    Thanks everyone. It's been to nice outside to sit and really check this new tv stuff out. I do know I'll miss Bravos real housewife trashy TV but hey maybe I'll find some other trashy show 📺
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!