Thread: The Fear of Empty Space

The Fear of Empty Space

The predominant emotion in todayís culture is feeling overwhelmed. Most people complain about not having enough time in their day or space in their home. Our life is cluttered with time clocks, technology, and trying to maintain it all with our home reflecting this back to us. This is why we are undergoing a cultural clutter epidemic. But itís not really about our stuff. Itís about what our stuff is covering up.

While we complain about not having enough time or space, we stay busy trying to fill up both. Most of us feel a need to fill any bit of empty space we find. Silence in conversation. An empty wall. A painting with just a brush stroke. An empty calendar. Empty space is uncomfortable for most of us.

In art, empty space is called the negative space. In music, itís the pause just prior to a crescendo. In homes, itís the area where the space breathes. In meditation, itís the pause between the inhale and exhale. In Japanese art (one of the few cultures that value empty space) the void is called ma and highly revered. In all art forms, the beauty lies in the empty space. Why then are we so uncomfortable with it, while also craving it?

People complain all the time about not having enough time and yet they have created their life in this way. Fear breeds in empty space. Itís where we can hear our thoughts. If forces us to look at our life. We have to witness the choices weíve made. We have to remember the ungrieved past. To avoid this, we fill our homes and lives with stuff. We fill our calendar. We put a console on the empty wall. We fill quietness with chatter or TV noise. Before long, our lives become cluttered all in an unconscious attempt to avoid the emptiness.

Another word for empty space is the gap, the void, the liminal, or nothingness. This scares the hell out of us. In this state, the ego clamors for reassurance that it exists. There is a rush to fill the space with anything, even if itís not soul-filling. Anything not to have a black hole reflected back to us. Like walking down a dark hallway with no end. And so we begin to fill our calendar and home with people, places, and things. Before long, our life is cluttered and we feel overwhelmed. The ego is validated, but at a high price: I am overwhelmed and therefore I exist.

The void is also where creation is born. The same place we find our fears is also the place we find our soul. Follow the fear and you will find your authentic self. This is what weíre truly afraid of. Finding our true self comes with moving out of our comfort zone, changing family beliefs, taking risks, being seen, and vulnerability. The more these words scare you, the deeper your piles of clutter.

http://www.earthhome.tv/blog/the-fea...ter-our-lives/

Does any of this ring true for you?

The Fear of Empty Space

God no! I am the opposite of that, and ect...

Not applicable for Dh, either. We're very compatible that way. I couldn't be with someone who was like that at all.

I've had a "friend" tell me that my life is very boring. I thought her life was a drama and clutter-filled nightmare, though I never told her that. We're no longer friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need alone time and empty space. One of the best things about our move was tossing out so much junk. I like being social but am finding I like being alone even more...

I'm pretty minimalist, so I'm good with what I have. I like physical space where I can be by myself (like a sunny back yard surrounded by a fence) and sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in the day, but it's not due to an over extension of "stuff" to fill my life, it's work, dinner, getting the kid ready for bed, and an hour to myself to fart around playing online Bingo while I half assed listen to DH's show. I only feel overwhelmed with crap to do when DH gets mentally lazy and wants me to do things he could do for himself, but I'm pretty good at maintaining my boundaries.

I grew up as the youngest and the third of three generations under one roof, 9+ of us, and all with one bathroom. I know how valuable personal space is, on a few levels.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

I'm not exactly a minimalist, but I despise clutter unless it is of personal value--and even then too much is too much.

However, I do not like empty space for the sake of having empty space. Our main living room and keeping room both have vaulted ceilings that I initially loved, but now they feel cavernous.

This reply intentionally left blank.

I'm not a neatnik, but I'd prefer empty space to clutter, every day.