Thread: Is it time to scrap gender specific awards?

Is it time to scrap gender specific awards?

Link

Emma Watson has won the MTV Movie and TV award for best big-screen actor - the first gender-neutral prize the ceremony has given out.
    In her acceptance speech, the actress said winning the prize for her role in Beauty and the Beast was "very meaningful".

"To me, it indicates that acting is about the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes, and that doesn't need to be separated into two different categories."
    MTV announced the change to the categories earlier this year after Billions star Asia Kate Dillon raised the issue with the Emmys.

When organisers asked the female-born star how they wanted to be considered, it proved a struggle because the performer identifies as gender non-binary.
    What to go for - best actor or best actress?
    I am torn on this one. If awards ceremonies changed categories to "Best performance as a female (male) character", would they then have to add a category for "gender-fluid actor/character"? If awards dropped gender altogether, wouldn't that make the competition greater?

Thoughts?

Awards shows have jumped the shark. That could be the final push to end them. Either that or have the Oprah Awards show where everyone gets an award.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    I always thought that gender specific awards in recent years was more about making sure women had a chance against male dominated movies.

Though recently it seems there are more female leads in movies. I wish there were more categories especially for genres. Seems like the snotty awards ignore science fiction and comic book based movies only get awards for things like special effects
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Seems like a bad idea because if men started winnin every award then we would be back to women feeling marginalized in this profession. There is already the complaint that they don't get paid the same as their male counterparts.

I'd say scrap the awards altogether . Why do they need an award for doing their jobs when they are already getting huge paychecks?

Is it time to scrap gender specific awards?

Lots of industries have awards, entertainment ones are just more public.

I say get rid of gendered awards, because then the shows will be that much shorter.

Who am I kidding - they'd just add even more fluff so that there would still be ample time to add commercial revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the idea in theory is cool - but the reality is that women would almost never win a best actor Oscar. You put someone like Russell Crowe in Gladiator in an incredibly demanding physical role against Julia Roberts in Erin Brokavitch and Russel Crowe is going to win every time. At the end of the day I don't watch award shows and they don't influence my decisions to watch movies so I don't have a dog in this fight.

If the awards are genderless, there will be demands for gender equity and quotos anyway, so why bother?
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Quote Originally Posted by Mamapalooza View Post
    If the awards are genderless, there will be demands for gender equity and quotos anyway, so why bother?
    exactly

When was the last time an Asian won "Best Gender Questioning in a Supporting Role" ?

I can see basing the award on the gender of the role, rather than the gender of the actor. If the role is ambiguous, the actor (or director) could decide.

I also like the idea of genderless awards, but perhaps breaking them up by sub-category. Instead of best actor and best actress, have best actor (of all and any, mixed, no, questioning, etc. gender ) in an action/adventure/sci-fi film, best actor in a romance or comedy, etc.

In the end, I don't watch awards and thus don't really care though.