Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remodeling/Updating Your House

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    We bought our house in 1999 and have been updating it constantly since then.

We have:

Closed in the 1/2 vaulted ceiling in the living room to make a bonus room at the end of the upstairs hallway
    New siding and garage doors
    Remodeled all 3 bathrooms that we originally had
    Added hardwood flooring on the first floor
    Replaced flooring elsewhere
    Replaced the front door
    Replaced a tie wall in the back and front
    Ripped out rock walls and tie walls in the front
    Ripped out trees in the back
    Removed an above ground pool
    Put in a decorative pond, removed a decorative pond
    Refinished the basement including putting in a 1/2 bathroom
    Added a storage room in the basement and a gun room for DH
    Remodeled the kitchen and laundry room including removing a supporting wall I between the kitchen and dining room
    Replaced and expanded the deck
    Remodeled the master bedroom and added a walk in closet
    Replaced the main stairs with wooden stairs (still in progress, need to trim them out)

There are some things we need to re-remodel including 2 bathrooms.
    We need replace the remaining tie walls in the back, but that will be about 30K and we don't have it now.

I think we have spent about 90K on this house in renovations. We will never get it back out when we sell it, but we did it to make it what we wanted.

As far as priorities, it mostly came down to first of all necessity and then what I couldn't stand anymore.

I feel like a lazy bum reading all that, Mare!

We did put a new roof, siding, and new heating/cooling unit in. We also had insulation blown in, added a deck, and have a new above ground pool. But we hired out for much of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    We just move.
    I like the way you think!

I remember when you built that house, RA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Side story, I was at a woman's house this past Friday who just completed a complete 1st floor renovation with a new kitchen, along with a huge master bathroom update. Their shower could fit my whole family. I just looked around and thought "Dear God, where do they get the money?" Having updated stuff is less important to me than, I would say, most others in my neighborhood. My least favorite part is when the updates feel competitive like a game of "keeping up with the Jones."
    Ugh! Neither DH or I are big on keeping up with others and thankfully we live in a neighborhood that it isn't an issue. I also don't want to spend a ton of money, but want my house to work for us and look a little more updated.

We did a lot of necessary stuff to the house that was big $$$ in the first few years and then we slacked off and it shows.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I remember when you built that house, RA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We will be in the house 11 years this summer. We still love it, but really want to move into town. Unfortunately, a move to Durango would be a even trade money-wise (for a much "lesser" house) so we're probably going to change locations.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinAnn View Post
    At this point, we're considering a move so there really won't be any updating; probably just refreshing.

After years with rambunctious puppies/dogs, we need new paint throughout. Need some drywall repair. Stucco needs to be redone. Can't think of any "improvements" I'd do in the next couple of years for "us". Maybe downspouts on our gutters and a bit of earth moving to make a dry creek for drainage from the house.

We did have a new roof and new garage door put on due to hail damage. We've done a huge amount of landscaping and irrigation work. We had a 8x16 shed (and chicken coop) built.

If we were staying, I'd replace my Corian countertops with a different color/design that I like better than what we have.

Generally, I've been like Peanut and have moved before needing to do real work to a house. (I'm actually looking forward to trading down in house and if needed, paying for a full kitchen upgrade in the cheaper house.)
    The cats have been a bog part of my reluctance with a lot of things. They are pretty easy, but I can't see buying furniture or pillows and such that will become cat beds or get scratched up by kitty claws.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    The cats have been a bog part of my reluctance with a lot of things. They are pretty easy, but I can't see buying furniture or pillows and such that will become cat beds or get scratched up by kitty claws.
    We'd really like to turn the basement into a theater room with a bar, but I don't want to invest in nice theater seating with Hairy and Hairier here. Right now, we've got some leather furniture down there. While they don't actively scratch on the furniture, you can tell they use it as springboards when they're on a tear. The one couch downstairs with fabric has more hair on it than anything else.

Our house was built in 1980 and had never had anything done to it besides new windows when we bought it. It was frankly awful. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have bought it. I'd actually love to move but it won't be happening anytime soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hah. My house was built in 1960. We've been here 22 years, and for 20
    of those we did the least we could squeak by with, because we're terrible at DIY and we didn't have any money.

In the last few years we've replac d all the windows, had a new roof put on, had some basement work done, added a deck,remodeled both bathrooms and the kitchen, put bamboo floors down in the living room, and bought new living room furniture.

This year were replacing the driveway so that it drains away from the house. Next year we're replacing the furnace and a/c.

I have mixed feelings: I do like the work we've done, especially the kitchen, but at the same time, it does feel frivolous.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    We just move.
    Our house is going on the market on Wed.

We've been in the house for 11 years. We didn't do much as it was in great condition. But, it was looking worn.

If we had stayed, here's the priorities we would have done very soon:

- Update the kitchen. DW loves to cook. Doesn't need a total remodel; just new appliances and we'd replace the countertops.
    - Replace all the carpeting; they were worn. We did do that in prep for sale.
    - Paint interior. Again, did for prep.
    - Redecorate family room. Sofa is worn out from 14 years of kids using it. Wood floor needing refinishing (did it for prep).
    - Not urgent, re-do master bathroom.

We're in our third house in 25 years.

Our first was a condo that we painted and put up some shelving.

Second was a house on a big lot built in 1953.
    - The kitchen had already been modernized, so that was good. We put in a new bathtub in the main bath, and moved the water heater out of the powder room. We did new flooring in the powder room and kitchen.
    - We put a new roof on the detached garage and finished it into a rec room, replaced a rotten deck, painted the inside, and did a ton of landscaping. We hired out the roof, dh and various tradesmen friends did the garage and deck, and I was off work summers back then so I did most of the landscape labour.

Our current is a bigger house also built in 1953. We've done quite a bit in the 4 1/2 years we've been here.
    - Put on a new roof and eavestroughs - hired those out.
    - The kitchen was original, but with new appliances. We painted the cabinets, put in tile floors, put on a new countertop, and painted the walls. We hired out the tiling and countertop. We didn't want to spend what it would have cost to completely redo it.
    - We "refreshed" the basement by painting the 60s wood paneling and replacing the dirty carpet with luxury vinyl plank flooring. We painted the walls and put shelving in the workshop.
    - We removed the gross carpet on the stairs to the second floor, sanded and painted. That was way more work than it sounds!
    - Dh and I redid the two bathrooms. No plumbing or electrical needed, just flooring, vanity, toilet, cabinets and painting.
    - Built a low floating 16'x16' deck off the back door.
    - Removed a 23'x12' concrete pad in the back yard and put down soil.
    - This summer we plan on replacing a rotted old gate and a stretch of chain-link fencing with nice wood fencing.

Our plan is usually based on what we can live with, the seasons (no outdoor stuff in the winter here!) and budget. Our current kitchen was the first thing we did because the flooring and counters were kinda gross. We have a list of projects, and pick them as we finish the last one. Our last place took us 9 years to get how we wanted, and it will likely take that long here, too.

We enjoy doing projects, and are pretty handy. So we minimize costs and do what we can. We have no interest in keeping up with the Joneses or trends, so those have no bearing on our decisions.