Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a prank? S/O

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    One silly, harmless prank that I pulled was to string a bunch of paper clips together, so when the prankee went to grab a single paper clip from his tray, a whole string of them came with it It was my co-worker, and he was a good sport about it!
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamapalooza View Post
    Teasing is okay when I know my audience, which for me is family. I've been known to ask my kids, "oh my god, who RAISED you!?" DH and I tease each other as well. Not in a mean way, but more like a series of inside jokes we've built through the years. He always chuckles when I say "I can't believe someone married you" when he does something boneheaded -- that kind of thing.

Teasing someone just to be a dick is never okay.
    That's us, too. I've been known to tell a kid completely deadpan "That's it, you're out of the family." Or a stage-whisper to one saying "That's why YOU'RE my favorite..." when the other can clearly hear me. It's so clearly untrue that everyone thinks it's funny. One of my kids has to be in the mood, and I've made the error before of timing it wrong and having to apologize. I do think there is some value at learning to tolerate that kind of good-natured teasing, though, especially for kids on the autism spectrum where it can be a bit of a stretch. I make the distinction that I'm trying to make her laugh at me, not make everyone in the room laugh at her.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Yeah, with my younger son, we have to be very clear when we're speaking in jest..."Daniel, just so you know? THAT WAS A JOKE"
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
    That's us, too. I've been known to tell a kid completely deadpan "That's it, you're out of the family." Or a stage-whisper to one saying "That's why YOU'RE my favorite..." when the other can clearly hear me. It's so clearly untrue that everyone thinks it's funny. One of my kids has to be in the mood, and I've made the error before of timing it wrong and having to apologize. I do think there is some value at learning to tolerate that kind of good-natured teasing, though, especially for kids on the autism spectrum where it can be a bit of a stretch. I make the distinction that I'm trying to make her laugh at me, not make everyone in the room laugh at her.
    Yes, exactly. A self-deprecating sense of humor isn't easy for everyone, even those not on the spectrum.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Unrelentingly Oppositional Andrea's Avatar
    Teasing an adult in a playful manner is way different than teasing a kid. What an adult may find harmless a kid may not.

I was teased as a kid. IT SUCKED. It impacted me.

I'll never do it. I'll never tolerate it.

"When politics becomes a religion, then simple disagreements become apostasies, heresies. And you know what we do with heretics." -- Peggy Noonan

Quote Originally Posted by Mamapalooza View Post
    Teasing is okay when I know my audience, which for me is family. I've been known to ask my kids, "oh my god, who RAISED you!?" DH and I tease each other as well. Not in a mean way, but more like a series of inside jokes we've built through the years. He always chuckles when I say "I can't believe someone married you" when he does something boneheaded -- that kind of thing.
    If I had a dime for every "your MOM______!" joke told in my home, I could buy a new family.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Ah, got it. I think Dh and I do similar things, and we are both fine with it. Every once in a rare while, one of us will hit a nerve with the other over something unexpected, in which case we back off and apologize, but generally that sort of teasing is part of our relationship and we know each other well enough to know what will be well-received and what won't.
    I realised awhile ago that the way dh and I talk to each other maybe isn't really the norm . A few weeks ago we were talking on the phone while I was at work and he said something really dumb - I can't remember now what it was but it was really stupid - so after I got off the phone I told my coworkers what he had said and I said he was an idiot. One of my coworkers asked me if I called him an idiot to his face and I was a little confused and he said that he could never call his wife an idiot even in jest. I was shocked by that - I mean in the midst of a fight I would never call dh an idiot but if he does something stupid I will and I expect the same in return . Usually "you're an idiot" is replied with a "you married me what does that make you"

Ah, got it. I think Dh and I do similar things, and we are both fine with it. Every once in a rare while, one of us will hit a nerve with the other over something unexpected, in which case we back off and apologize, but generally that sort of teasing is part of our relationship and we know each other well enough to know what will be well-received and what won't.
    This.

The pranks are usually at my expense, and they almost always make me laugh. But sometimes, they have landed badly, and then he has apologized. I also know him well enough to know that he would not intentionally hurt my feelings or my pride.

Way back when we were first married, he came running up the stairs to our apartment, threw open the door, blood dripping down his face, and told me he had just been attacked while out running. His glasses were askew on his face, he was bleeding as I said, and his shirt was torn. I started frantically searching for the huge cordless phone that we always misplaced, to call 911, when he started laughing and told me he had tripped over the curb... I was not amused at the time, but now (25 years later), it does make me laugh. He has never done a prank that made me worry for his physical safety since.

Another example is that he always used to joke about his co workers being in love with him. This is when he was a dispatcher, and had to work in a small office with the other 911 dispatchers. I would take him dinner, and he would make remarks about the 65 year old woman wanting his babies because ours were so cute, or that he and another older woman were going to run off together with the $13 they had saved up, etc. It sounds worse than it was, it was all in good fun, and the other dispatchers would roll their eyes, etc. However, one night he made a joke about one of the other dispatchers sending him flowers because she loved him, and it went all over me. I told him privately later to NEVER joke about her, because if she thought it would get her somewhere at work she would totally try to have an affair with him. She was already working her way through several officers, (later married 2 of them in pretty rapid succession), and I just didn't want to joke about her. He also hasn't done something like that since.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    I realised awhile ago that the way dh and I talk to each other maybe isn't really the norm .
    My Dh and I are like you guys.

We never ever call each other names during disagreements, but we sure do other times. I've been known to say to Dh in wonder "amazing to think you dressed yourself this morning"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    I realised awhile ago that the way dh and I talk to each other maybe isn't really the norm
    Rob and I are very much like this, I'm sure if some people overheard our inside jokes and pet names they would think we were horrible people. My entire family is like this though, it took Rob a while to adjust when we were first together because his family was very proper and mine is sarcastic and weird and now he's just sarcastic and weird with us.

We had my grandmothers funeral I was talking to the funeral director after the service and mentioned that we had held my step-dads funeral at the same location back in 2009, he said "Oh yes, we all remember you because no other family has laughed so much at funerals".