Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a prank? S/O

I don't enjoy Jimmy Kimmel's " I ate your Halloween candy " either.
    Ugh

I hate pranks. HATE them.

I like Sprock's definition that the person who gets pranked should be laughing in the end. But you don't really know if that's going to happen until after you do the prank. I wouldn't be laughing about any prank pulled on me - it's just not my nature. I hate feeling duped.

I think they are mean spirited. Always. Even if the one pranked is able to laugh it off, the prankster went into it looking for a laugh at someone else's expense. Not cool.

I'll admit to not even being a good sport about what I could consider a mostly harmless prank. They just aren't comfortable for me, and they cause my anxiety to skyrocket, and it's very unpleasant. I'd feel stupid and humiliated, and that would even be for relatively small pranks, I think. I'd hope that those who know me well enough to actually consider pranking me would also know I'm just not the right type for them though. Generally, I think I have a pretty good sense of humor and can be deprecating and laugh at myself, but being the butt of someone else's joke is different.

A suck, I don't think there are any circumstances under which I would prank someone else, either.

Pranks that get a little giggle are fine but a lot of people go overboard and it's not funny. I don't consider scaring people or making them look foolish to be entertaining at all. I've seen some cute ones, once at my former job we taped a few balloons to the window of an office door so from the outside it looked like the entire room was filled with balloons

Premier Sponsor
    I agree with Sprockey's definition.

I'm here. I'm the same way about teasing.

My home is a no prank and no teasing zone. I will not tolerate either.
    Does this apply to playful teasing as well? In my family we are pathological, rampant, serial playful teasers, lol. It's always in fun, the recipient always laughs....I honestly don't think I could cope with the seriousness of life if we cut out the teasing. My husband and I give each other points for particularly hilarious zingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    I agree with Sprockey's definition.

Does this apply to playful teasing as well? In my family we are pathological, rampant, serial playful teasers, lol. It's always in fun, the recipient always laughs....I honestly don't think I could cope with the seriousness of life if we cut out the teasing. My husband and I give each other points for particularly hilarious zingers...
    Can you give us an example?

Premier Sponsor
    Sure. One that still makes me laugh - there was a day when I was having a bad day - dropping things, saying things in ways that didn't make sense, etc. Then I walked into a wall. My husband said, "I honestly don't even know how you've survived this long....Hey! You know that thing they say, where if you took some huge amount of monkeys and gave them each a typewriter, eventually one of them would type the bible? You're that monkey!"

Ha, now that I type that out, I have no idea if that will make any sense to anyone or be as funny as it was to us, lol. He was basically saying I was SUCH a disaster, that the odds of me making it as far in life as I had were infinitesimally small. I was guffawing.

Ah, got it. I think Dh and I do similar things, and we are both fine with it. Every once in a rare while, one of us will hit a nerve with the other over something unexpected, in which case we back off and apologize, but generally that sort of teasing is part of our relationship and we know each other well enough to know what will be well-received and what won't.

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Ah, got it. I think Dh and I do similar things, and we are both fine with it. Every once in a rare while, one of us will hit a nerve with the other over something unexpected, in which case we back off and apologize, but generally that sort of teasing is part of our relationship and we know each other well enough to know what will be well-received and what won't.
    Yes, exactly!

Teasing is okay when I know my audience, which for me is family. I've been known to ask my kids, "oh my god, who RAISED you!?" DH and I tease each other as well. Not in a mean way, but more like a series of inside jokes we've built through the years. He always chuckles when I say "I can't believe someone married you" when he does something boneheaded -- that kind of thing.

Teasing someone just to be a dick is never okay.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"