Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LHOTP

LHOTP

Ok, here's the Little House on the Prairie thread!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been working my way through the LHOTP series.

Mary is 2 years older than Laura. When Mary turned 16, she married Adam. When Laura was 16, Almonzo finally proposed. When asked if he could marry Laura, Charles said no. He wanted them to wait two years until Laura was 18. I thought that was pretty hypocritical. I'm pretty sure they married before she turned 18 anyway, but the comment bugged me.

There were so many inconsistencies between Mary and Laura. Ma and Pa did not blink an eye at Mary running off with her TEACHER, but Laura could not date the local new farm boy Almanzo? Sure...sure...

Another funny thing- the whole adult dress and putting up the hair, when Mary got married she still wore her hair down for quite a while and still showed her scandalous ankles...

Harlot!

The other night I saw the episode where Charles and Almonzo race to Sleepy Eye. The deadline was 1 p.m. Whoever got their first before the deadline, the other's wife had to make them all dinner. If they both lost, then the guys had to make dinner. They both encountered obstacles so neither got there before 1, but Charles beat Almonzo. When Almonzo got there, Charles told him he got there long before 1 but since Almonzo got there so late, they had to spend the night. Charles was going to make Almonzo pay for an expensive dinner out, but Almonzo found out that Charles was late also, so he made Charles pay for the expensive dinner. When they got back to Walnut Grove, Charles got Almonzo to agree to lie to their wives and tell them they both got to Sleepy Eye at the exact same time so it was a tie. Of course, the women already knew they were both late, so the guys ended up making dinner. Yeah, yeah, makes for a cute episode, but it bugged me that it was so out of character for Charles to lie.

Did you ever notice how Mary always had a fresh coat of polish on her nails? Usually it was just clear or really faint pink, but I don't think nail polish became popular till a good 40 years later.

Premier Sponsor
    Charles wouldn't lie. That must have been new screen writers on that episode.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

I think they also wore a lot of blush and mascara, Nels was very ahead of his time in regards to keeping the ladies of Walnut Grove ahead of their time!

Yes, Caroline wore a lot of blush!

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    Are you watching this through Netflix or Hulu or something?

Also, once you're done with the series, Nellie wrote a book. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch, I think it's called.

No, I ordered the series on DVD.

Thanks, I'll have to check out the book!

That book is awesome! Melissa Gilbert's memoir is good too, I read them concurrently. Melissa Sue Anderson's is as prissy and boring as you would expect!