Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LHOTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsparilla View Post
    It was 1975, I was in fifth grade, and I was so excited to watch the first episode when it aired! By the end I was in tears and never watched another episode.

PA HAD A BUSHY BLACK BEARD. MR. EDWARDS WAS CLEAN SHAVEN. That was a HUGE thing in the books. And there was Michael Landon's naked dumb face.

Stupid.
    . I know everything was wrong!

I loved the books, and enjoyed the show. I never saw them as quite the same thing, so I guess the differences never bothered me in this case. They were so very different. The books I liked for their realism, like talking about how horses were bought and sold and the details of the meals they ate, that sort of thing. I know they weren't history exactly, but I found that part interesting. The show with its interpersonal drama was fun on that level.

Yep, the TV show was definitely "The Michael Landon" show, and complete melodramatic- sometimes to the point of bizarro cheesy goodness!

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarsparilla View Post
    It was 1975, I was in fifth grade, and I was so excited to watch the first episode when it aired! By the end I was in tears and never watched another episode.

PA HAD A BUSHY BLACK BEARD. MR. EDWARDS WAS CLEAN SHAVEN. That was a HUGE thing in the books. And there was Michael Landon's naked dumb face.

Stupid.
    It's funny, I never liked Michael Landon - he always annoyed me when I was a kid. I don't know why! And there's a Canadian actor, Winston Rekert, who bears a superficial resemblance to Michael Landon, and I didn't like him either because of this resemblance I got over that, though. He's a good actor.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I'm finally on Season 9, but I've lost motivation to finish it right now. I miss the core family, and all the new people/storylines bug me.

A couple of thoughts...

There was an episode in Season 8 where a high school friend of Caroline's sent her a letter asking for help. The friend was at a silver or gold mining camp, and there was a flu epidemic. A number of the campers had died as well as their doctor. So Caroline and Doc Baker packed up supplies and hit the road. The friend was pregnant and married to a complete asshole. Another woman at the camp was also pregnant, roughly the same due date. While Doc Baker tended those with the flu, Caroline tended to the pregnant ladies. Of course, they both went into labor on the same night. Caroline helped her friend, Doc Baker helped the other lady. Caroline's friend died but the baby survived. The other lady survived but her baby died. Caroline got Doc Baker to agree to swapping babies without telling the families. The fact that Caroline would even suggest such a thing shocked me. Made me wonder just how often things like that happened back then!

There were two special reunion movies made after the series ended. The DVD for those was included with Season 8, which made no sense because there were people in those movies who weren't even introduced until Season 9.

Oh, and I'm probably the last person to make this connection, but Reverend Alden was the old guy (Tom Hank's character) in The Green Mile.

Just wait till they blow up Walnut Grove!!!

I saw that! I watched both reunion shows before I started the last season.

Just wait till they blow up Walnut Grove!!!

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things