Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning help for someone else's party

Cleaning help for someone else's party

I had about 20 people over last night for a few hours for a command spouses event. We had an amazing time, and this was the culmination of dozens and dozens of hours of work on my part, many meetings, etc. (It was part of a larger annual traditional event that is very important to our spouses' group.) Thankfully, it wasn't a huge mess at the end of the night, but DH and I are spending our hungover day picking up empty cans, throwing away plates with half-eaten food, emptying coolers, taking down decorations, etc.

I hosted this party, but it was a spouses club event, it that matters in the specific context.

During a party at some else's home, do you usually pick up during the event? I'm thinking of things like collecting empties and throwing them away when you notice them, grabbing a handful of plates and tossing them, etc.

We left in a bit of a hurry because we met up with the guys (who had a similar, parallel event) to head up to the base bar, so on one could really stay after to help pick up. Several people have stopped by today to pick up purses, phones, gift bags, and other things left behind. As they stopped by, DH and I were clearly cleaning up. In that case, would you have offered to help? They all thanked me profusely for a great event, but none offered help.

Our group of friends do a lot of events. People are ALWAYS helping to pick up things during and after the event. When we have something and its wrapping up, people always ask before they leave how they can help.

I find it very odd that no one offered. It's a pet peeve of mine that people won't pick up their plates and empty glasses and cans when there are big trash cans available to throw them in. Some people forget.. okay. But, if you see someone cleaning, chip in.

And we've had 40-60 people over and sounds like they made a lot less of a mess than your group of 20 did.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Our group of friends do a lot of events. People are ALWAYS helping to pick up things during and after the event. When we have something and its wrapping up, people always ask before they leave how they can help.

I find it very odd that no one offered. It's a pet peeve of mine that people won't pick up their plates and empty glasses and cans when there are big trash cans available to throw them in. Some people forget.. okay. But, if you see someone cleaning, chip in.

And we've had 40-60 people over and sounds like they made a lot less of a mess than your group of 20 did.
    I do understand why no one helped as it was wrapping up, as there really was no wrap up. The guys showed up, and we grabbed our purses and ran out. But based on the contents of my trash can, it doesn't seem like anyone really bussed the plates or anything during, either. To be fair, mine was the last stop in a long evening and some people were already tipsy by they time they arrived. But at the other houses along the way, even though we were only in them for maybe 30 minutes each, I grabbed a handful of plates and napkins and tossed them before we left. The houses certainly weren't clean, but I took 2 minutes to pitch in. My house had most of the eating and drinking, and we spent by far the longest here, so it was the biggest mess.

And with all the people coming by this morning to collect forgotten items, I was sort of surprised no one offered. I probably would have said no, but I thought people might ask. This *could* have something to do with DH being the boss (well, second boss). But not all the wives came with their service member, and the girls are my friends.

It's not like I'm pissed, I just thought it might be interesting to discuss party our various party guest cleaning behaviors.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    If it was a military related event it might be an age/maturity thing. I am looking at this from a middle age perspective and I know to always clean up after myself during a get together because I know I wouldn't want other people to just leave their crap around after they are done using it.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    If it was a military related event it might be an age/maturity thing. I am looking at this from a middle age perspective and I know to always clean up after myself during a get together because I know I wouldn't want other people to just leave their crap around after they are done using it.
    I think all of the guests were at least 25, and some were in their 40s. These are all O-2 to O-4 spouses.

I will say that I got lots of thank yous, both last night and today, so it does feel like everyone acknowledges and understands that work involved, which is nice.

Vill, I always did and always do. Back when I wore your shoes, people would come to me and assume I was an integral part of the party planning (if not the actual hostess or co-hostess), even if I wasn't. This had little to do with my being "Mrs. Rank" or "And Wife", but probably more to do with the other ways people had seen me around within the community (volunteering, Girl Scouts, School functions, that sort of thing). I made a concerted effort to be known as ME, and not as "His Spouse". Of course, that was easier for me to do considering the environment in which my husband worked.

I swear sometimes, I was invited to things based on my willingness to pitch in and help. Doing so made me feel less socially awkward.

We went to a party last night and I made sure to throw away my garbage, put my water bottle in their recycling bin. I also offered to help with anything. I would be embarrassed if I left a mess for someone else to clean up.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    If you leave your purse and or your phone you are probably drunk imo.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I always clean up after myself and if there are more empty plates or things like that next to mine I'll clean them up too. But I don't go out of my way to find dirty dishes either.

I'm always amazed at people who were never taught to push their chairs back in when they leave the table.

Quote Originally Posted by STLouisMom9800 View Post
    I always clean up after myself and if there are more empty plates or things like that next to mine I'll clean them up too. But I don't go out of my way to find dirty dishes either.

I'm always amazed at people who were never taught to push their chairs back in when they leave the table.
    This is where I'm at.