Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should we banish the words alcoholic and alcoholism?

Should we banish the words alcoholic and alcoholism?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamapalooza View Post
    People I've known with drinking problems put a lot of thought and effort into keeping it at hand, so it's probably foreign to them that others don't. Wherever they go and whatever they do, they pre-plan when to buy their alcohol so they don't run out. "Should I stock up before I leave? Will there be a liquor store on the way? Will it be open late enough? Is it close enough I can drive and get away with it? Is this going to be a drinking crowd? Will I have to share with other people? I'd better take some extra money just in case. If I have to wait around for someone is there a bar close by? That would be a great meeting place. I need to stock up for the weekend. I'll pay that bil next payday or it will cut into my night out." That's the addict's mind at work protecting the addiction. It's baffling to me as a rare drinker that so much thought is put into keeping the drug of choice at hand. It must be exhausting, and it must also keep a lot of other thoughts (and feelings) at bay, which becomes a coping mechanism in itself as the disease really progresses. d .
    My dd dated a guy who was like this with pot. I found out after she dumped him and told me that was why. I'm glad she saw it and didn't like it. She said it was boring.

We have a number of alcoholics in my family, on my mom's side. Myself I have gone through periods of partying heartily, but never felt like I had to drink. Now I will have a drink or two a couple of times a year, but only if other people are and never to the point of being tipsy.

My older brother is what I call "a social drinker, who is very social". He says he doesn't drink during the week, but they go out a lot, and I have rarely been at a gathering with him where he didn't get drunk. Fortunately he's a happy drunk. But I think he drinks a large volume.

There's lots of different ways to drink, and I hardly think that everyone is an alcoholic in the making. I do know people who do think that, but that's their issue, not mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    That paragraph perfectly describes my relationship with coffee.

SaveSave
    You and me both.

in all seriousness, I do put effort in to ensure I have a good stock of it in the house. I make sure we also have our favourite creamers and my sweetener so I won't have to run to 7-11 first thing on a Saturday morning to get my fix.

I take a small container of half and half when we stay overnight somewhere, and I make no apology when I take my own coffee if we're spending a weekend at MIL's. She just doesn't care about or appreciate a good cup of joe, and only buys the cheap shit.

Yeah, I might have a problem.

We went camping last summer with my oldest and her guy, and we packed a plastic cone-shaped one-cup filter system and all the paraphernalia for our morning coffee. Instead, we woke up to find DD's boyfriend had found a Tim Hortons and parked a 12 cup insulated box of coffee with a spigot on the picnic table (like you see for wine). Then I found out the guy doesn't even like coffee, it was all for us. Needless to say, he is a keeper in my books.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

You and me both.

in all seriousness, I do put effort in to ensure I have a good stock of it in the house. I make sure we also have our favourite creamers and my sweetener so I won't have to run to 7-11 first thing on a Saturday morning to get my fix.

I take a small container of half and half when we stay overnight somewhere, and I make no apology when I take my own coffee if we're spending a weekend at MIL's. She just doesn't care about or appreciate a good cup of joe, and only buys the cheap shit.

Yeah, I might have a problem.

We went camping last summer with my oldest and her guy, and we packed a plastic cone-shaped one-cup filter system and all the paraphernalia for our morning coffee. Instead, we woke up to find DD's boyfriend had found a Tim Hortons and parked a 12 cup insulated box of coffee with a spigot on the picnic table (like you see for wine). Then I found out the guy doesn't even like coffee, it was all for us. Needless to say, he is a keeper in my books.
    Definitely a keeper!!

When one of my nephews got married in Oxford, MS several years ago, it did not occur to me to worry about coffee. It's a college town. I assumed coffee would be everywhere. It was not. I had a headache and ended up having to find a grocery store to buy half n half to make the hotel room coffee palatable. I could not believe that our fancy hotel had such rigid hours for having coffee available. I have not made that mistake since.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Definitely a keeper!!

When one of my nephews got married in Oxford, MS several years ago, it did not occur to me to worry about coffee. It's a college town. I assumed coffee would be everywhere. It was not. I had a headache and ended up having to find a grocery store to buy half n half to make the hotel room coffee palatable. I could not believe that our fancy hotel had such rigid hours for having coffee available. I have not made that mistake since.
    Crossing Oxford, MS off the list of places to ever visit.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Crossing Oxford, MS off the list of places to ever visit.
    It may have improved since then. It was at least 6 years ago. :)

I remember that coffee story, Kimm!

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I remember that coffee story, Kimm!
    It was very traumatic for me. I am not surprised I shared it.

I feel the same way about Pepsi. Some people prefer their caffeine brewed, I prefer mine carbonated. If we go somewhere out of town, I make sure to bring my own.