Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyft Driver Refuses To Drive Drunk Women Home And His Explanation Went Viral

Lyft Driver Refuses To Drive Drunk Women Home And His Explanation Went Viral

He says that the two women probably had good intentions, but he still felt duty bound to reject the ride, because, he explains, even though he himself wouldn’t have raped or sexually assaulted the woman, it could have easily happened if the young woman in question had ended up with the wrong driver.

Lady request Lyft and attempts to put her friend who is intoxicated/unconscious in my vehicle by herself. #SexualAssaultAwareness. #Safety

As a friend, that puts your friend in a possibility of great danger” he explains. Henderson has become an advocate for domestic violence and sexual assault survivors following his work with the National Domestic Violence Hotline; he says that he realised that attitudes towards sexual assault needed to be addressed:
    “I remember going to a workshop and hearing a guy who, after a woman was raped, said, ‘Aye man, boys will be boys’. Like basically that because we’re men, this is in our nature and we can’t control ourselves. It was a shock. I knew that was wrong. From that point on, I knew I had to be more vocal. Men have to hold themselves more accountable.”
    http://www.viralthread.com/lyft-driv...-went-viral/2/

What do you think? Should he have given her a ride home?

I guess we found out what happened to one of Pence's interns who couldn't find a new job....

What's lame is I thought the drivers have cams in their cars to protect themselves from this stuff.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Wait. So because a different person could sexually assault a drunk woman, he decided not to give her a ride?

That's one of the fucking dumbest things I've ever read.

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Wait. So because a different person could sexually assault a drunk woman, he decided not to give her a ride?

That's one of the fucking dumbest things I've ever read.
    This.

He sounds like a "nice guy".

In other news drunk lady drives home and collides with another vehicle killing everyone inside
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Was it that he wanted the friend to come along to provide safety? Weird.

Well, I guess there's the issue of what he's supposed to do with her when he gets her to the destination and she's passed out. Not defending him but what should he do? Drop her to the ER?

Presumably he wants to make sure she's safe, so I guess he figures he doesn't know what sort of situation he's bringing her to? And if she's capable of getting to the right house, unlocking the door and stumbling inside? What if she's got alcohol poisoning, passes out on the floor and expires? What if he takes her home, gets her inside and situated and leaves? Can she accuse him of bad behavior later? No cams to protect him inside the house.

He was protecting himself. I don't know if I can blame him for that. So what happens when he gets her to her destination? Is he supposed to take it upon himself to get an unconscious drunk women into her home by himself. I really don't blame him.

edited to add: I didn't actually click and read the whole article so I might be talking out my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Andee View Post
    He was protecting himself. I don't know if I can blame him for that. So what happens when he gets her to her destination? Is he supposed to take it upon himself to get an unconscious drunk women into her home by himself. I really don't blame him.

edited to add: I didn't actually click and read the whole article so I might be talking out my ass.

That's what I originally thought until I clicked through and read the article. He tweeted this:

Lady request Lyft and attempts to put her friend who is intoxicated/unconscious in my vehicle by herself. #SexualAssaultAwareness. #Safetypic.twitter.com/vzOqdalZpX
    He thinks he's raising awareness for sexual assault by refusing to drive this woman home alone because he's a guy, and some guys assault drunk women.

“As a friend, that puts your friend in a possibility of great danger” he explains.
    That's not trying to protect himself. That's him "protecting" the drunk woman. It's so fucking illogical, my head just exploded re-reading it.

There is a lesson for all of us here – but if you do find yourself in a situation similar to the one Henderson describes above, just hope you have a similarly socially conscious driver to make sure you get home safely.
    Wait, what? How is it socially conscious to not give her a ride, because someone else might rape her?

People get their 15 minutes for the stupidest shit sometimes.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"