Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fridge door open overnight - help!

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar

Fridge door open overnight - help!

I discovered this morning that our fridge didn't close properly last night and the door was open, maybe an inch, for about nine hours. Ack!

The inside was still pretty cold, but I'm worried about some of the stuff inside. I know that the milk, juice, yogurt, hard cheese will be fine, but I had some leftover scalloped potatoes from dinner in there as well as a bit of ham left over from Easter dinner. I tossed out some packaged deli meat, an open container of beef broth, and a little tupperware thing of pizza sauce.

Should I throw out the scalloped potatoes and the ham?
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I would, because they've already been out and served once before. If the ham was still in its original package, I'd say keep it. Leftovers are more risky.

Plus I don't like scalloped potatotes. J/k.

I wouldn't throw it out.

Honestly if it was me I'd trash all of it.
    I'd rather throw it out then throw it up.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    The first thing to do would have been to measure the temperature of the food you were worried about. If it was between 4 and 60 °C (39 to 140 °F), I'd pitch it. You'd have to assume that it was in that danger zone for over two hours.

Also, why are you saying milk would be okay? Bacteria in milk will start its rapid reproduction after only15 minutes in the danger zone.

So, all the above was me with my Master Food Safety Advisor hat on. Without the hat, I'd probably just close the door and carry on. We have iron stomachs here and no
    immunocompromization.
    Robin

I would personally toss the ham, potatoes, milk and yogurt but I'm overly-cautious to the point that I drive my husband crazy. I had food poisoning once from a friend's home because she had left food out and I never want to feel like that again, it was horrid.

I live by food service safety rules due to the hazards of my job, I 'd pitch it.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    I live by food service safety rules due to the hazards of my job, I 'd pitch it.
    That would mean I'd take out my trusty thermometer and measure the food's temperatures. I personally think the fridge was probably on overdrive all night and worked hard to keep the set temperature. Open an inch is different than wide open.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Yeah, the door wasn't even open wide enough for the light to come on. Regardless, I'll throw out the ham and scalloped potatoes (). Most everything else was fruit and vegetables, bread, hard cheeses, and condiments.

thanks!
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by RobinAnn View Post
    That would mean I'd take out my trusty thermometer and measure the food's temperatures. I personally think the fridge was probably on overdrive all night and worked hard to keep the set temperature. Open an inch is different than wide open.
    True, I am just paranoid, because I have to worry about strangers, and because I am paranoid it spills over into my homelife