Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overzealous family members

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    She tried this with me when I moved down as well. We finally agreed to disagree. Her church is well known for it's views on conversion therapy and courting the "beautiful" people. My dd can handle herself. LB I think you hit the mail on the head, does she want to be that person in the family, people avoid and/or mock due to her religious zeal? It is such a turn off. I keep trying to ignore it, but we are so close it is HARD.

Dd told me about it because she was mocking her and a bit annoyed. Not that it's bothering her that much.

But it bothers me.

ETA- My family is strict catholic, they actually seem more flexible in their views than my sister's church. Seriously
    I remember you talking about it before the family moved down. It would bother the hell out of me, too. For your dd to humor what your sister suggests puts her in direct opposition to her brother. Which feels like she is - intentionally or not - attempting to drive a wedge right in the heart of your nuclear family. She may have fantasies of converting (and conversion-ing) you all and then you'll all be peachy in the afterlife.

But you live in the real world. She's not connecting the dots as to how intrusive this is to your family. I know how highly you think of your sister otherwise and how important she is to you. This is why some people hate religion. It can drive a wedge like no other.

Overzealous family members

I don't think my dd is really humoring her. She finds it all very mockable.

And to be fair we do mock her (not about religion as none of us want to get her started iykwim?) to her face about a variety of things and she takes it well.

The religion thing just bothers me more. I guess it's just my cross to bear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overzealous family members

Sorry, I said that badly. I meant to say if your dd was more susceptible to religious belief and started believing as your sister wanted - it certainly doesn't sound like she is. It's not wrong to feel serious irritation, even if your dd is an adult.