Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers with guns in the classroom

Teachers with guns in the classroom

I know I'm pretty anti-gun and might not be objective about this, so I'm curious about your thoughts!

A staff member at my son's elementary school smelled alcohol on a Kindergarten teacher's breath. They notified the school resource officer, who gave the teacher a breathalyzer, which she did not pass. The resource officer then gave her another sobriety test, which she also did not pass. They then cleared out her classroom, and then searched her room for open containers. During that search, they found a loaded semi-automatic pistol in her purse, which was located on the floor under her desk. She does have a permit to carry.

Thoughts?

I would be beyond pissed. Since you're in TX she'll probably only get cited for the drinking. Which pisses me off even more.

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post

I would be beyond pissed. Since you're in TX she'll probably only get cited for the drinking. Which pisses me off even more.
    I'm in GA, but the reaction isn't all that different. :gg Many are happy she was "protecting the children," under the influence and with a loaded gun in her purse on the floor in a room of kindergartners, notwithstanding. It's a misdemeanor here, since she had a license to carry.

Yeah, HELL NO.
    I am fine with armed resource officers in schools. I am even okay(ish) with a handful of teachers who have passed a background check and have a license to carry having a gun on their person or within close reach if needed. I will never be one of those teachers, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
    BUT. A drunk teacher, in a room full of kindergartners, with a loaded gun easily within their reach? NO FREAKING WAY.

Teachers with guns in the classroom

And suppose that was the big moment where she's called upon to start shooting to defend her kindergarteners?

Yeah. The people defending this are people who are primarily concerned with further restrictions on their own gun rights. Pretty easy for a responsible gun rights person to separate themselves from this. At this point I'd be taking note of who's rationalizing this incident because I wouldn't send my kid over to their house for any length of time.

If we're going to have teachers with guns, they need to be qualifying on a regular basis with regular certifications on safety and storage. And not drinking on the job. Jesus.

A gun in a purse on a floor, is not what I call a properly cared for firearm around children.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    No, just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    A gun in a purse on a floor, is not what I call a properly cared for firearm around children.
    I agree with this.

I also have a problem with a teacher being drunk.

I do not have a problem with anyone who is licensed to carry, to carry. Especially in places with soft targets (like schools and churches).
    Everyone has the right to defend themselves.

Yes, I know there are a lot of "what -if's" but they can go in both directions.

Drinking on the job. Carrying for protection while under the influence. Keeping a loaded gun on the floor of a Kindergarten classroom.

For me, it's not even the carrying (although I don't like that, I'll admit, but whatevs) in this particular instance. It's the total disregard for anything even close to resembling responsible handling of children, let alone the firearm.

And yes, I've heard that she's a wonderful teacher (she's always seemed nice when I've seen or spoken with her), and yes, I've heard that she was protecting the children, and yes, I get that she likely knows what she's doing around guns. None of those things addresses the issues at hand.

Do you think she will lose her job? Sounds like she should (just based on the drinking alone).

It's one thing to show up drunk on the job if you are an accountant. It's something else entirely if you are responsible for children.