Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers with guns in the classroom

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Do you think she will lose her job? Sounds like she should (just based on the drinking alone).

It's one thing to show up drunk on the job if you are an accountant. It's something else entirely if you are responsible for children.
    She's being held without bond right now. I'm not sure why no bond for two misdemeanor charges. (She was charged with Possession of a Weapon on School Property and Reckless Conduct, both misdemeanors.) I don't know that I think she should be teaching. The drinking, and the keeping the loaded gun on the floor in a Kindergarten classroom both show a lack of judgement. This is Georgia, though, and the comments on the Sheriff's site where the official memo was released seem pretty evenly split.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Does the school allow her to carry on school property? I support the right to carry but I also support the rights of school officials to say no weapons on campus by teachers.

The fact that she was drunk should be grounds for termination imo
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    Does the school allow her to carry on school property? I support the right to carry but I also support the rights of school officials to say no weapons on campus by teachers.

The fact that she was drunk should be grounds for termination imo
    No, it is still illegal here to carry on school property. There are exceptions (school resource officers, guns kept in glove compartments of cars when a licensed person is dropping off or picking up a student, etc.) but she doesn't seem to fall into any of those categories, as far as I've seen. She was charged with possessing a gun on school property.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Yeah she knew and broke several rules so she should be fired
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Sounds like if it's just the alcohol, she'll be given the option of medical treatment or resigning. Not sure how the loaded gun kept in a purse on the floor will enter into any of that.

School district officials declined comment on [her] job status following the incident because it was a personnel issue, a spokeswoman said.

The district's personnel policy states employees who test positive for alcohol use on school property have the option of going through medical treatment or resigning.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    A gun in a purse on a floor, is not what I call a properly cared for firearm around children.
    Exactly. I stopped hanging out with one mom I knew when Johnny was in kindergarten because she always had a pistol in her purse. She was not all that protective of her purse either. She would lay it down just anywhere. I also think she had a pill problem because she was "out of it" a lot. Yeah, no thank you.

I mean, sure, if we had run across some bad guys, I suppose she could have shot them. Since it is unlikely that we were going to be attacked though, I was more concerned about the could be stoned lady with a gun in her purse.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    Drinking on the job. Carrying for protection while under the influence. Keeping a loaded gun on the floor of a Kindergarten classroom.

For me, it's not even the carrying (although I don't like that, I'll admit, but whatevs) in this particular instance. It's the total disregard for anything even close to resembling responsible handling of children, let alone the firearm.

And yes, I've heard that she's a wonderful teacher (she's always seemed nice when I've seen or spoken with her), and yes, I've heard that she was protecting the children, and yes, I get that she likely knows what she's doing around guns. None of those things addresses the issues at hand.
    No teacher who is in the classroom drunk is a "wonderful" teacher. I mean, she may be wonderful in every other way, but being in charge of a room full of kindergarten students while drunk cancels out anything else imo.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    No, it is still illegal here to carry on school property. There are exceptions (school resource officers, guns kept in glove compartments of cars when a licensed person is dropping off or picking up a student, etc.) but she doesn't seem to fall into any of those categories, as far as I've seen. She was charged with possessing a gun on school property.
    Good. I am assuming she knew she was not allowed to have guns on school property. There's really no excuse. Add in all the other stuff and she should be gone…yesterday.

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    No teacher who is in the classroom drunk is a "wonderful" teacher. I mean, she may be wonderful in every other way, but being in charge of a room full of kindergarten students while drunk cancels out anything else imo.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Yes, I agree with this, as well!