Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother livid at TSA pat down of 13 yr old son at DFW airport

Mother livid at TSA pat down of 13 yr old son at DFW airport

Going through TSA check points at airports can potentially be an arduous process — but on Sunday, a Texas woman likened it to going "through hell."
    Jennifer Williamson posted a video to Facebook of her 13-year-old son Aaron going through a thorough pat-down at a Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport TSA checkpoint.
    "They detained Aaron for well over an hour at DFW. (And deliberately kept us from our flight... we are now on an alternate)," Williamson wrote in a now-viral Facebook post. "We were treated like dogs because I requested they attempt to screen him in other ways per TSA rules."
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-livid-n739461

She states her ds has a sensory processing issue.

Does she have a point? Is this more snowflakery?

I'd like to know more of the story. A normal pat down takes a minute or two. Screening a carry-on may add a 2-3 minutes. Also, as annoying as these processes are, I've never seen a TSA agent act unprofessionally. (Treated like dogs?)

I wonder if the TSA spent a lot of time trying to deal with the Mom's requests.

I have a kid with processing issues as well as one that wears a medical device. Ds almost always gets patted down due to his insulin pump. It's never been a huge problem. Annoying when we have a doctors note but it's done in minutes.

The part that made me twitch was that the mother didn't make sure this kid pulled his laptop out of him backpack, which is what trigger the pat down. There are numerous signs everywhere. I think he might have been better served if she would have made sure he pulled his laptop out.

So I say snowflake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the laptop issue. But, I have seen many honest mistakes on that. Plus, people do get randomly patted down.

If an irate Mom insists that on an alternate pat-down procedure and doesn't back down, what's a TSA agent supposed to do? Perhaps they spent time trying to find out what that was. In her effort to avoid the pat down and in their effort to accommodate, the whole thing got out of hand (maybe, because I wasn't there).

I totally understand the mom's concern about her son's variability in such a situation. Her best course of action would have been to plan better and know what the procedures are rather than assume that every TSA is well versed in all the different special cases that can arise.

Based on her reaction online and her comments about being treated like a dog, I'm guessing snowflake...

Mother livid at TSA pat down of 13 yr old son at DFW airport

If you don't want be treated "like a dog" when traveling maybe you should stay home. I would trade a tsa pat down for being stuck on the tarmac delayed sitting next to a guy with really bad breath or a tantruming toddler...even worse if it's your toddler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premier Sponsor
    Back before O'Hare TSA started just putting everyone through the x-ray machines, we were through there a couple of times within a six month period. Both times my attractive 16yo daughter was "randomly" selected to be x-rayed while I was "randomly" sent through the "we don't really want to see that" line.

I had the good sense to keep my mouth shut, though, which is why we made it through in time to make our flights.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    I'd like to know more of the story. A normal pat down takes a minute or two. Screening a carry-on may add a 2-3 minutes. Also, as annoying as these processes are, I've never seen a TSA agent act unprofessionally. (Treated like dogs?)

I wonder if the TSA spent a lot of time trying to deal with the Mom's requests.
    The story said it took 35 minutes to talk to mom and the kid to get to the point of the pat down.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

I call snowflake, and an unprepared mom of a kid with sensory issues. I have yet to fly with my DD but we did cruise, and we made sure she knew what to do, and what might happen through security.

I once left my phone in my back pocket, through security. And yes you get a very umm... intimate Pat down for that! Plus they put crap on your hands, and in general you feel like a dumbass spectacle, of what NOT to do!

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar
    I'm going with snowflake. I had to have a very intimate encounter with the TSA after my husband put his drink in my backpack and I didn't realize it. It took 3 mins and we were done and I was embarrassed! It's not a big deal and preparing the child for real life situations is helpful for the kid.

The story says the kid was quite calm. So I think it was mom that was the only one freaking out. I think the only reason the kid wonders what he did wrong, is because Mom didn't bother to use this as a learning opportunity and explain he did nothing wrong, that it's simply a part of travel protocol at airports, and it happens sometimes, and he got chosen. I think he's only concerned at this point, because MOM had the meltdown. She turned this into A THING when it wasn't a thing.

I hope he didn't sneeze.

Edited to add: My dd has a processing issue. She will be traveling to the UK later this year, if everything works out. Because of this, and because she can be prone to anxiety attacks in certain extremely high pressure situations, she will be getting letters from her doctors, to carry with her, on the off chance a situation arises, that give a detailed explanation of everything. It was her idea, just in case. She will already have to carry letters for her medications, so what's a couple more?