Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got Milk? RACIST!

Got Milk? RACIST!

A California State staff writer claims that milk and dietary recommendations to drink milk are white supremacist tools.

http://www.daily49er.com/opinion/201...ymbol-of-hate/

The federal endorsement of milk in American diets contributes to the problem by uncritically pushing people to drink milk, despite the potential detriment it has on non-white people’s health.
    Our current federal dietary guidelines urge people to drink three cups of milk a day, according to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The main health benefit of milk is to guard against osteoporosis, a disease that weakens your bones — hence the “stronger bones” rhetoric. While this is a very practical health benefit, osteoporosis affects Africans at a significantly lower rate than it does most Americans, according to an article on Mother Jones.

Is milk racist? Is the US government practicing white supremacy by recommending dairy?

If it is, I've been indoctrinating my children since they were toddlers...

Seriously, that's ridiculous.

Are the US Dietary Guidelines on Milk Racist?
    August 3, 2016
    Josh Harkinson
    Mother Jones

The government recommends everyone drink three cups of milk a day—but a new study suggests African Americans might not need any.

The federal government's dietary guidelines urge adults to consume at least three cups of milk a day to guard against osteoporosis, a disease in which bones become brittle and weak. People who are lactose intolerant—a group that includes 75 percent of African Americans—"can choose low-lactose and lactose-free dairy products," the guidelines say. But a new study has called into question this one-size-fits-all approach. It suggests that most African American adults might not need milk at all.

<snip>

Hilliard makes no dietary recommendations—after all, she is a historian, not a nutritionist. Still, she points out that African Americans may be uniquely susceptible to some of milk's side effects. Multiple studies have correlated high levels of dairy consumption to prostate cancer; African Americans are 2.4 times as likely to die from the disease as the population at large. Though other genetic and socioeconomic factors may explain their higher risk, some studies have pointed to dairy. The California Collaborative Prostate Cancer Study, published in 2012, found that calcium consumption was closely related to an increased risk of prostate cancer, particularly in black men who carry a genotype common in populations of African origin.

Yet the federal government's dietary recommendations don't account for such distinctions. And that omission, she says, amounts to something like discrimination. "What has happened is the medical community has universalized the particular biology of [Caucasians]," Hilliard says. "And the medical community has yet to frame its questions in ways that investigate whether foods that have been culturally labeled as 'good for you' have deleterious consequences for minorities."

Full story at link above.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Considering how many people from everywhere other than Northwestern Europe develop lactose intolerance, it's probably not a great guideline for all people. I don't think it was deliberately racist, but I would not be surprised if no one considered how milk affects Asians, for example.

I think it has more to do with promoting American dairy products than racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    I think it has more to do with promoting American dairy products than racism.
    Pretty much. Milk is not good for a large percentage of people, but I'm sure the dairy industry has excellent lobbyists.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The article also cites white supremacists using milk - literally spewing it at a camera - I guess to say you'll take whatever we spew at you? I don't know. Pretty stupid.

Lots of US Dietary Guidelines are based on out of date science and good lobbyists.

As it racist? If so, then this picture is racially charged...

This is the stupidest thing I've read today. And that's saying something.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar

Got Milk? RACIST!

Why does milk have to be WHITE??? /s

If I add Nestle Quik is that cultural appropriation?
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers