Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump says US 'must be paid more' to defend Germany

Trump says US 'must be paid more' to defend Germany

President Donald Trump said Saturday that Germany owes "vast sums of money" to NATO and the U.S. "must be paid more" for providing defense, reiterating his stance that European allies need to meet their end of the bargain if they are to continue benefiting from the military alliance.
    Trump's tweet from his Florida resort, where he is spending the weekend, came the day after his first meeting with Germany's leader.
    "Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel," the president wrote. "Nevertheless, Germany owes ... vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany!"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/common-bo...-politics.html

German Defense Ministry contradicts Trump, says it doesn’t owe U.S. money for NATO

President Trump's Saturday tweet accusing Germany of owing the United States “vast sums of money” for NATO might have been an attempt to put pressure on the European ally. But Berlin has rejected his claim while also questioning his understanding of NATO finances.
    On Sunday, German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen called the criticism “inaccurate,” without mentioning the president's name. “NATO does not have a debt account,” von der Leyen said, according to her ministry.
    The criticism echoed that of other experts, including former U.S. ambassador to NATO Ivo Daalder. “Trump’s comments misrepresent the way NATO functions,” Daalder told The Washington Post on Saturday. “The president keeps saying that we need to be paid by the Europeans for the fact that we have troops in Europe or provide defense there. But that’s not how it works.”
    In reality, NATO has only a small logistical budget, which relies on funding by all member states. The vast majority of NATO members' total resources are managed domestically. NATO treaties do not require member states to spend a certain percentage of their GDP on defense — and even if such a rule existed, Germany would not pay the United States nor NATO directly but rather invest domestically to buy weapons or pay soldiers, for example.
    Von der Leyen also indirectly criticized Trump's plan to reduce funding for U.N. peacekeeping missions. German defense expenditure was not exclusively dedicated to NATO missions, she emphasized, and additional German funding would be used for peacekeeping missions, for instance. “What we want is a fair burden-sharing, and in order to achieve that, we need a modern understanding of security,” von der Leyen said.
    The rather unusual rebuke of Trump by a German defense minister indicates growing concerns in Berlin over transatlantic relations. The percentage of Germans who view the United States as a trustworthy ally has dropped from 59 percent in November to 22 percent in February. In recent months, Sigmar Gabriel, Germany's outspoken vice chancellor and foreign minister, has even called Trump a “threat.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e02f661bc31e

So, what's he going to do, withdraw from NATO if they can't afford to pay more? Putin would love that. Come to think of it, maybe that's the idea behind this, and the money bit is just an excuse.

Trump is a pathological liar who blusters without thinking and makes poorly planned and thought out decisions without regard to the ramifications that they may have. It's just a matter of time before he makes that one REALLY BIG mistake.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

While the US does pay more in defense than any other country by a fairly large margin, Germany ranks second. Why pick on the second place person, when there are so many who are contributing so much less? Why publicly pick on ANY of our allies? Why not mention this during the private meeting? I would love to see Trump treat our allies the way he treats Russia...

Here is my default answer for everything that will come out of his mouth for the next several years --> he's an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    Here is my default answer for everything that will come out of his mouth for the next several years --> he's an idiot.
    God, I hope it's not the next several years...never thought I'd say this, but I hope he resigns or is impeached.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    God, I hope it's not the next several years...never thought I'd say this, but I hope he resigns or is impeached.

I honestly believe his ego will prevent him from resigning.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I honestly believe his ego will prevent him from resigning.
    Probably. He's a nutjob.

He's all ready having campaign rallies for his 2020 run, complete with funding through his 2020 re-election campaign! He will never resign...

This also fails to recognize that the US gets a great deal of benefit out of having our troops stationed in foreign countries. It's not like our bases there are just playing security guard for Germany. The bases are used as staging grounds for actions around the world. Someone is injured in theater in the Middle East? What American hospital are they taken to? The one in Germany, not the one in DC or San Diego.