Thread: White House apologizes to Britain

White House apologizes to Britain

The US has made a formal apology to Britain after the White House accused GCHQ of helping Barack Obama spy on Donald Trump in the White House. Sean Spicer, Mr Trump's press secretary, repeated a claim on Thursday evening – initially made by an analyst on Fox News - that GCHQ was used by Mr Obama to spy on Trump Tower in the lead-up to last November's election.
    General McMaster contacted Sir Mark Lyall Grant, the Prime Minister's National Security adviser, to apologise for the comments. Mr Spicer conveyed his apology through Sir Kim Darroch, Britain's US ambassador.
    "He’s able to get it and there’s no American fingerprints on it," Mr Spicer said of the intelligence supposedly provided to Mr Obama by Britain.
    "Three intelligence sources have informed Fox News that President Obama went outside the chain of command - he didn't use the NSA, he didn't use the CIA, he didn't use the FBI and he didn't use the Department of Justice - he used GCHQ."
    The Government "made clear" to the US that the "ridiculous" claims should be ignored and received assurances in return that they will not be repeated, showing that the administration does not give them any credence, Mrs May's spokesman said.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...q-wiretapping/

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Well done! Piss off one of your most important allies in the war on terror! 👏🏼
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Oy.

I had no idea he brought Britian into it.

I see in the first line of the article "The US has made a formal apology to Britain"

How does a formal apology happen? Did Trump make a call? Send a letter telling them he was wrong?

How can you stand up there without irony and say "well, Fox News told us and we relied on it to our detriment" when you're also consistently saying that the media are lying liars who lie? And you also have the CIA, FBI and NSA at your disposal? It's moronic. How long do the people tolerate that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    How long do the people tolerate that?
    56 days and counting ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Oy.

I had no idea he brought Britian into it.

I see in the first line of the article "The US has made a formal apology to Britain"

How does a formal apology happen? Did Trump make a call? Send a letter telling them he was wrong?
    Spicer and McMaster both made the call.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Should have made the call himself
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

My God, do we have any trust and credibility left among our allies or among any of our own intelligent and thinking citizens? I'm having a nightmare from which I can't wake up.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Beth View Post
    How can you stand up there without irony and say "well, Fox News told us and we relied on it to our detriment" when you're also consistently saying that the media are lying liars who lie? And you also have the CIA, FBI and NSA at your disposal? It's moronic. How long do the people tolerate that?
    I can't understand how people are rioting in the streets by now, the rest of the world is shaking their collective heads in disbelief. I feel like I'm watching a favorite close relative have a mental breakdown and become a completely different person than I thought they were for my entire life.

The White House now says they did NOT apologize to Britain, and that they were just quoting a news report.

Meanwhile, Shepard Smith of Fox News said on air that Fox News could not confirm Nepolitano's commentary and had no evidence of any surveillance of the current president "any time, any way. Full stop."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/w...pgtype=article