Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America’s Heroin Epidemic Starts in Mexico

America’s Heroin Epidemic Starts in Mexico

First it was the Golden Triangle, then South America. Now the source for a nation’s insatiable demand is right next door.

**America faces its worst drug crisis in decades, with heroin and opioid use tripling since 2010.

As various federal agencies roll out their annual strategy reports, the government declared that—as was the case in previous drug frenzies—all of the heroin used in the U.S. comes from abroad. Only now, instead of Southeast Asia’s Golden Triangle or remote South America, the primary source is just next door, in a country with already delicate U.S. relations.

This week, the State Department delivered some 600 pages to Congress detailing the transnational drug trade, putting together data from the UN, U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and a variety of other entities. “The opioid epidemic demands urgent action as a top priority of U.S. and international drug control efforts,” the report stated.

As much as 94 percent of the heroin entering America comes from Mexico, estimated William R. Brownfield, a man with a complex title (assistant secretary of the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs) who sits at the fulcrum of drug interdiction and diplomatic initiative. During a conference call Thursday, he explained that, in 2017, a synthetic opioid between 10 and 50 times more potent than heroin, raw fentanyl, is being trafficked through Mexico into the U.S. alongside heroin and cocaine, though it’s largely produced in Asia. (Other commonly known opioids are morphine, oxycodone, and tramadol.)**

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...arts-in-mexico

I think America's heroin epidemic starts in medicine cabinets here in the US of A. Once addicted, though, Mexico may send a lot over. I'm not sure a wall would help, though. They will just continue to send it over the river or through tunnels. We do need to do something about it, though.

According to the OP: As much as 94 percent of the heroin entering America comes from Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    According to the OP: As much as 94 percent of the heroin entering America comes from Mexico
    Most people don't start with heroin. They start with pain meds and graduate to heroin. Those pain meds are usually in their own medicine cabinets.

http://nationalpainreport.com/study-...s-8823937.html

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/29/health...-consequences/

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...ion-drug-abuse

http://www.healthline.com/health-new...d-to-addiction

Not sure why you are talking about how addictions get started , but OK. People start with pain meds and graduate to heroin.

Now we are at the point of the OP where people are addicted to heroin: and that 94% of it is coming into America from Mexico .

Don't you think it's a good idea to stop the flow of heroin from entering the country? I mean, 94% is a pretty big chunk , don't ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Not sure why you are talking about how addictions get started , but OK. People start with pain meds and graduate to heroin.

Now we are at the point of the OP where people are addicted to heroin: and that 94% of it is coming into America from Mexico .

Don't you think it's a good idea to stop the flow of heroin from entering the country? I mean, 94% is a pretty big chunk , don't ya think?
    The title of your post is "America’s Heroin Epidemic Starts in Mexico." It does not. That's what I'm debating!

ETA, yes, we do need to stop heroin imports, as I said, but I don't believe a wall will do anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    I think America's heroin epidemic starts in medicine cabinets here in the US of A. Once addicted, though, Mexico may send a lot over. I'm not sure a wall would help, though. They will just continue to send it over the river or through tunnels. We do need to do something about it, though.
    Based on the demographics of the heroin/opioid epidemic, I think you're absolutely right. People get prescription opioids, develop a tolerance, and move to stronger drugs.

And the epidemic *starts* with addiction - demand requires a supply.

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    And the epidemic *starts* with addiction - demand requires a supply.
    Which Mexico is providing according to the OP: 94% of it.

We've been talking about the opioid problem for a couple years now, has the medical professions made any changes about how it overprescribes?

As for the heroin supply, the influx has made it very cheap. We've had a "war on drugs" for decades, what has it accomplished?