Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: America’s Heroin Epidemic Starts in Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    We've been talking about the opioid problem for a couple years now, has the medical professions made any changes about how it overprescribes?

As for the heroin supply, the influx has made it very cheap. We've had a "war on drugs" for decades, what has it accomplished?
    I got a letter from the surgeon general a few months back outlining new narcotics guidelines for prescriptions.

I went and learned surgical techniques that are minimally invasive and don't require the patient to take narcotics to be comfortable post-operatively. I teach them as well. I can't remember the last time I wrote a narcotics prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    We've been talking about the opioid problem for a couple years now, has the medical professions made any changes about how it overprescribes?

As for the heroin supply, the influx has made it very cheap. We've had a "war on drugs" for decades, what has it accomplished?
    Yeah, at lesst in most states. Now they underprescribe, and people in actual real pain can't get help. So, beccaphel is right in part, but that's not the whole story. People who can't get the pain meds they need also turn to heroin because it is easier to get than a 5mg vicodin. So, it starts in the medicine cabinet. But it also starts with doctors being overly cautious in response to the overly liberal prsctices of the past. When people are really in pain, and can't get relief, they get desperate. Mexico did not start the heroin epidemic. Mexico supplied demand that came into existence because of American drug problems.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    The title of your post is "America’s Heroin Epidemic Starts in Mexico." It does not. That's what I'm debating!

ETA, yes, we do need to stop heroin imports, as I said, but I don't believe a wall will do anything about that.

Our health care problems largely start with poor diet and exercise. So we don't need a wall, we need a calisthenics program.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

'You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook.' - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    And the epidemic *starts* with addiction - demand requires a supply.
    Again, a basic lack of economic understanding. While one could be addicted to other things, they only become heroin addicts if there is an actual SUPPLY of heroin.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

'You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook.' - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Again, a basic lack of economic understanding. While one could be addicted to other things, they only become heroin addicts if there is an actual SUPPLY of heroin.
    If not from Mexico, then somewhere else, like Afghanistan: Where 90% of the world's heroin does come from.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

I feel like if people want to get high and they can't get heroin they'll just get something else. They'll shoot meth or do bath salts or huff paint...

Lots of heroin comes from Mexico but I don't think that if we blocked the heroin supply that people wouldn't just switch to something else.

My FIL had his knee replaced a couple of months ago - no opioids for pain, and he said it was better than when he had his first knee done. They used a numbing agent at the site and then managed pain with elevation, ice and movement.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Right.

And according to the OP, 94% of the supply comes FROM MEXICO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Right.

And according to the OP, 94% of the supply comes FROM MEXICO.

If you cut off the heroin supply then they become meth addicts, or bath salts, or whatever else..

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    My FIL had his knee replaced a couple of months ago - no opioids for pain, and he said it was better than when he had his first knee done. They used a numbing agent at the site and then managed pain with elevation, ice and movement.
    Same for me.
    They gave me some in the hospital right after surgery but I didn't take anything but Extra Strength Tylenol when I got home.
    That shit effs with you. No, thanks.