Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Budget Cuts to Meals on Wheels Could Hurt Veterans, Raise Health-Care Costs

Budget Cuts to Meals on Wheels Could Hurt Veterans, Raise Health-Care Costs

The program feeds over half a million veterans annually and, it says, helps keep homebound seniors out of the hospital.

One of the casualties of President Donald Trump's proposed budget may be Meals on Wheels, the familiar food delivery program for homebound Americans. The aim is to decrease federal spending, but cuts to the service could backfire by raising health-care costs, the program warned.

The spending plan calls for reductions to two grants that Meals on Wheels relies on in some locations, as well as to federal departments that help fund the program, spokeswoman Jenny Bertolette said in a statement. "With a stated 17.9 percent cut to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services budget," Bertolette said, "it is difficult to imagine a scenario in which these critical services would not be significantly and negatively impacted if enacted into law."

The program, which delivers meals to individual homes and senior centers, feeds more than 2.4 million Americans 60 and older—more than half a million of them veterans. It delivers about 218 million meals a year, according to a Meals on Wheels fact sheet (PDF). Most recipients live alone, take more than six medications, and rely on these meals for at least half the food they consume.

One indirect benefit is that frail recipients getting proper nutrition are less likely to fall, and one day's hospitalization costs the same as a year of Meals on Wheels, the program says on its website. Such accidents cost $31 billion in 2015 in Medicare expenses alone, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported. "Seniors remaining at home, out of hospitals and nursing homes, saves billions in Medicare and Medicaid costs," the program says.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lth-care-costs

Meals on Wheels is an Organization that I donate to annually. It is a great organization that does so much good in the community.

I don't think starving out our vets and elderly is something I can support in the name of cost savings. *Sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    The program feeds over half a million veterans annually and, it says, helps keep homebound seniors out of the hospital.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lth-care-costs

Meals on Wheels is an Organization that I donate to annually. It is a great organization that does so much good in the community.

I don't think starving out our vets and elderly is something I can support in the name of cost savings. *Sigh*
    In his haste to show everyone how much he can cut, he didn't stop to look at the bigger picture or bother to figure out what was actually being cut. Ugh.

I'm hoping that he is thinking this would just be the opening plan, and once he hears what riled people, he will revise. Still stinks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    In his haste to show everyone how much he can cut, he didn't stop to look at the bigger picture or bother to figure out what was actually being cut. Ugh.

I'm hoping that he is thinking this would just be the opening plan, and once he hears what riled people, he will revise. Still stinks, though.
    He has to pass the cuts to know what the cuts are....

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    He has to pass the cuts to know what the cuts are....
    Sad, but likely so true...

Liberals: Stop Saying That Trump Will Kill Meal on Wheels

Criticism is fine and necessary. However, there is a tendency for people who oppose Trump, and, sadly, for journalists covering the administration, to jump into every utterance and decision with, as a public policy Spinal Tap think tank would say, the dial turned up to 11.
    the situation is complicated and saying that the budget eliminates the Meals on Wheels program is factually incorrect. According to the Meals on Wheels annual IRS filing for 2015 (it isn't a government program), approximately 3.3 percent of its funding comes from government sources. Most is from corporate and foundation grants, with individual contributions the second largest source. Government grants are actually the fifth largest source of revenue.
    Will there be consequences for the program (and others, obviously)? Of course. However, resorting to hysteria is dangerous, and that is happening, both among many on the political left and some media outlets. Such statements can make valid criticism look uninformed and foolish.

Instead, people who are concerned need to dig into the specifics of what is happening, understand the real implications, and then address those.
    I was surprised to hear that Meals on Wheels received government money. I always thought it was a private charity. I donate to it.

For me, this has nothing to do with opposing Trump.

It's about a program that I know helps so many people (for some it could be their only meal of the day). Which is why I also donate to it.

Is whatever cuts in the budget he plans to make going to affect this program? It's a yes or no question.

If yes, then that sucks, if no, then good.

I am fine with making cuts to programs (like PBS. With so much other programming and 6 million networks, why do we need to fund them?)

But ones that help feed people? No. I can't go for that/No can do

Yet another thoughtless and cruel mandate from a man who yet again shows that he has no human compassion whatsoever, and who has no understanding or regard for the ramifications of his hasty actions. The president and his cabinet: "The Billionaire Bastard's Club"
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    For me, this has nothing to do with opposing Trump.

It's about a program that I know helps so many people (for some it could be their only meal of the day). Which is why I also donate to it.

Is whatever cuts in the budget he plans to make going to affect this program? It's a yes or no question.

If yes, then that sucks, if no, then good.

I am fine with making cuts to programs (like PBS. With so much other programming and 6 million networks, why do we need to fund them?)

But ones that help feed people? No. I can't go for that/No can do
    Why do you hate Big Bird so much?

I hear you. I want people fed. I want schools to provide free lunches for kids who can't afford them, too. Those are programs that I don't want to see cut at all.

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    So basically, the poor and working class people that he promised to help? Are the ones that are going to get fucked. Meals on Wheels, free/reduced lunches/after school programs...all things that those groups of people rely on.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/16/donald...lvaney-budget/

The White House claimed on Thursday that there's no evidence students benefit from after school programs, which President Donald Trump's proposed budget would stop funding.

The budget eliminates funding for the 21st Century Community Learning Centers, which supports before and after school programs for 1.6 million children, the Washington Post reports. Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney claimed at a press conference that there's no evidence those programs benefit student performance.

"They're supposed to be educational programs, right?" Mulvaney said to reporters. "Guess what? There's no demonstrable evidence they're actually doing that. There's no demonstrable evidence they're actually helping results, they're helping kids do better in school.
    He continued, "The way we justified it was: these programs are going to help these kids do better in school and get better jobs. And we can't prove that that's happening."

Studies have shown that after school programs do help students' performance in terms of metrics such as grades, test scores, attendance, participation ratings and more. Research from the Global Family Research Project (formerly the Harvard Family Research Project) backs that up. So does research from the Afterschool Alliance, a nonpartisan organization that supports programs and resources for students.
    Heather Weiss, the founder of the former Harvard Family Research Project, told the Washington Post that the White House assertion did not match research.

“There is a lot of evidence,” she told the Post. “Engaging kids in high-quality after-school and programs, many of which are supported by 21st Century Community Learning Centers grants, results in kids doing better in school. They’re more likely to graduate and to excel in the labor market.”

But we could build another aircraft carrier!!!!!!