Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Budget Cuts to Meals on Wheels Could Hurt Veterans, Raise Health-Care Costs

boring prudish virtue signaler stellarfeller's Avatar
    Really? What is the cheapest option for basic cable? (re argument for OTA fading)
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I think internet access is even more important than cable. If you have internet access you don't need cable.

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    Nope. That's all bullshit too.
    Right.
    False equivalency

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Sesame Workshop has annual revenues of $121M dollars. A very small portion is from government support. PBS likes it because it brings in money for other things. Somehow, I think they'll survive. And, I bet some over the air network would love having them.

Unlike when Sesame Street started, there are other venues for quality children's and educational programming.

Bottom line, everyone complains how big and bloated the federal government is. How much redundancy there is and how the deficit is a major problem. Yet, the minute anything is considered being cut, it's a major catastrophe.

It would be great if each agency went through with a scalpel and a bottom-up approach was used to do actual cuts. But, they aren't rewarded for doing that. So, we end up with sequesters and budgets that cut top-down with a meat axe.

As for cable/Internet access for those who can't afford it, the companies provide low cost options. And, we are taxed on our bills for a federal program specifically designed to provide access. The argument for OTA is fading quickly.
    All of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Right.
    False equivalency
    Not sure that's what GoF meant
    -

No. Taxpayers don't want to pay for Trump's trips any more than they want to pay for PBS.
    It's all bullshit.
    We don't get to choose where Trump goes.

Quote Originally Posted by stellarfeller View Post
    Really? What is the cheapest option for basic cable? (re argument for OTA fading)
    Most providers have a $10/mo option for HS Internet and basic cable. Of course, that's based on coverage. Some areas in the US don't have high speed coverage at any price. Building that out requires infrastructure investment.. which might be a spending priority over the content that goes out over the non-existent pipe.

It is about priorities and not pretending that we can fund everything forever.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Liberals: Stop Saying That Trump Will Kill Meal on Wheels

I was surprised to hear that Meals on Wheels received government money. I always thought it was a private charity. I donate to it.
    The more I am reading, the more I am starting to understand.
    It might not be as bad as it sounded at first.

He was not talking about Meals on Wheels, but about a program in the Housing and Urban Development Department known as CDBG, or community development block grants.

There are some scattered municipalities that use some of their CDBG funds to help fund nutrition programs for the elderly. But most of the funding for Meals on Wheels comes from a separate program run out of the Health and Human Services Department, said Jenny Bertolette, vice president of communications at Meals on Wheels.
    As for the CDBG, Bertolette said, “There’s no nationwide breakdown of how these block grants are allocated within each state. Some programs will be hit hard and some might not be affected. It really depends on the state.”
    At another point in the briefing, Mulvaney reiterated these points about CDBG, and whether some funds were used by Meals on Wheels.

“My understanding of Meals on Wheels is that that is a state determination. The federal government doesn’t directly fund that; it funds the central Community Development Block Grants, the CDBGs. And some states choose to take the money and do Meals on Wheels. Other states and localities might choose to do something else with them. We look at the CDBGs. And when we do that, we look at this as $150 billion spent over 40 years, without the appreciable benefits to show for that type of taxpayer expenditure. And that’s why we have the reduction.”
    It’s clear from the context that Mulvaney is referring to CBD

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...-show-results/

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    No. Taxpayers don't want to pay for Trump's trips any more than they want to pay for PBS.
    It's all bullshit.
    We don't get to choose where Trump goes.
    I'm willing to bet that many taxpayers don't actually object to paying a few dollars a year for decent, widely accessible, educational programming.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by stellarfeller View Post
    I'm willing to bet that many taxpayers don't actually object to paying a few dollars a year for decent, widely accessible, educational programming.
    Sprockey's post (#28) shows how cuts to anything get misrepresented. Commercial channels have widely accessible educational programming. PBS doesn't have the monopoly We don't have just 3 major networks anymore.

Tonight on my local PBS... Tom Jones, 70s Soul Superstars and Rock Rewind. Does the taxpayer really need to pay for that? (Sounds like K-Tel commercials)

A couple billion here and a couple billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.