Thread: Trump Calls for Review of 2025 CAFE Standards

Trump Calls for Review of 2025 CAFE Standards

Trump Calls for Review of 2025 CAFE Standards
    March 15, 2017
    Uncredited
    Motor Trend via Reuters

Review could take a year

In Michigan today, President Donald Trump called for a re-evaluation of strict fuel economy regulations set forth by the Obama administration. The move is seen as a major win for automakers, which had raised concerns that the rules would increase costs and threaten jobs.

“The assault on the American auto industry is over,” Trump said in a speech that aroused cheers from the audience of union workers. He also vowed that “any regulations we have protect and defend your jobs, your factories.”

Right before Trump took office, the EPA moved to lock in 2025 fuel economy standards a year before the deadline. After the election, a group of 12 major automakers asked Trump to roll back the rules. Ford CEO Mark Fields told Trump 1 million jobs could be at risk if new fuel economy rules don’t take into account consumer demand.

Full story at link above.

If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Yeah, right, raising fuel standards is going to cost a million jobs. We've been raising standards for decades. Has that happened up to now? Lord, they lie so easily.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    Yeah, right, raising fuel standards is going to cost a million jobs. We've been raising standards for decades. Has that happened up to now? Lord, they lie so easily.
    Going from 10 to 25 to 35.5 (today) to 54.5 is not linear. So, the "we've done it before, we can do it again" argument doesn't necessarily apply.

At some point the cost and impact on safety becomes harder and harder to meet. The whole point of the CAFE standards was to decrease usage of oil. Measuring based on an entire fleet leads to market distortions. (Sorry can't sell you that SUV, sorry we have to use much lighter components which increase the cost of repair and make cars less safe).

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Going from 10 to 25 to 35.5 (today) to 54.5 is not linear. So, the "we've done it before, we can do it again" argument doesn't necessarily apply.

At some point the cost and impact on safety becomes harder and harder to meet. The whole point of the CAFE standards was to decrease usage of oil. Measuring based on an entire fleet leads to market distortions. (Sorry can't sell you that SUV, sorry we have to use much lighter components which increase the cost of repair and make cars less safe).
    As to the bolded, that is not how it works. In fact, if that were how it works, the car companies wouldn't put the vast majority of their marketing budget into SUVs and trucks. CAFE, as it is, is based on fleet average. So, high efficiency compact cars, hybrids and plug-ins, though selling way less on volume, subsidize gas-guzzling trucks snd SUVs.

And I am not sure that I buy the notion that automobile companies can't reach a fleet 54.5 MPG. Chevy already has the following in their line-ups:

2017 Chevy Cruze 40 MPG.
    2018 Chevy Cruze Diesel 52 MPG
    2017 Chevy Malibu 36MPG
    2017 Chevy Malibu Hybrid: 49MPG
    2017 Chevy Volt 42/106MPGe
    2017 Chevy Bolt 119MPGe

Further. Car companies have actually been making their cars larger to meet the standards. Why? Because Obama made changes that adapts those standards to car size, so, for example, a Chevy Impala or a Chevy Traverse CUV doesn't have to meet the 54.5MPG. Car enthusiast publications and auto companies are pretty damned misleading about that, because under 2025 standard, a Chevy Traverse would never have to meet 54.5 MPG. The 54.5 is based on a small car. That's a headline number but if you start looking through the data, you will find it's really a sliding scale based on vehicle size.

The reality is that, as one commenter on a car enthusiast site put it: they want an LT1 in everything. This person was joking, and he was celebrating Trump on this. But reality car enthusiasts (who are the largest constituency against CAFE), and the auto companies really do want to just build the fastest car possible, whether if that's what you want or not.

There never was a 54.5 MPG target for gigantic SUVs and cars. This is why car companies have been building larger and larger cars. In 2008 a midsized car was around 189 - 191 inches in length. Today, the Chevy Malibu, Chevy's midsizer, is 194" long. Do you think this is accident?
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

And CAFE hasn't made cars less safe. Here is a 2009 Chevy Malibu vs a pre-CAFE 1959 Bel Air. Wait till the end and watch the view from inside the cars. Now CAFE is not why the 2009 Malibu is safer. But CAFE has not inhibited the safety of automobiles:

The Super Bowl seemed full of truck and SUV ads to me.

ETA: I'm getting > 200mpg right now, so I made up for a bunch of people who drive boats.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    The Super Bowl seemed full of truck and SUV ads to me.
    And you prove my point. The way CAFE is measured, car companies can keep pushing trucks and SUVs. And really, that would not be the case if CAFE were as punitive as the car companies pretend it is.

They push trucks and SUVs because people want them. For the life of me I don't understand why I see families of four driving around in these boats. But, they do!

The ads are to promote buying a F-150 instead of a Silverado or Expedition instead of a Suburban. They are geared for the people who already want a huge vehicle.

I drive a Chevy Traverse. I fill up every 2 weeks, and that gets me everywhere I need to go here in town, with usually about a quarter of a tank left when I fill up.
    More than half of the time, I am the only one in my vehicle. But sometimes, there are 6 of us in there, including my future DIL. Or my son and several of his friends. Or my whole back end is full of stuff I am hauling to or from school.